Penhold family escapes home filled with carbon monoxide

A family of three escaped a potential deadly carbon monoxide situation in Penhold on Sunday.

A family of three escaped a potential deadly carbon monoxide situation in Penhold on Sunday.

Penhold Fire Chief Jim Pendergast said crews responded to a house alarm at a single family home around 7:14 p.m. The family was outside the home.

Crews found initial readings of 33 parts per million (ppm) of carbon monoxide in the home and more than 40 ppm in other areas.

Readings in excess of 25 ppm are considered a potentially dangerous situation and readings above 35 ppm are known to be toxic.

Crews had the readings down to 0 ppm by 8:30 p.m. The cause was determined to be a blockage in the furnace exhaust.

The family left as soon as they heard the alarm and called 911.