Red Deer fire crews responded to a home fire in the Westpark area on Saturday.
Officials say the fire originated in the bathroom ceiling fan and extended into attic space. This property contained a secondary suite and had hard-wired, interconnected smoke alarms and proper windows in the bedrooms that allowed the tenants to evacuate the home safely.
Due to the management company and the property owner’s proactive measures by ensuring that proper windows and smoke alarms were installed, lives were saved.
Red Deer Emergency Services reminds the citizens of Red Deer to check smoke alarms on a regular basis.
The city also reminds citizens the importance of clear and accessible fire hydrants for fire crews. With the recent snow falls, residents are asked to clear side walks and drive ways and to not pile snow around hydrants.