Tragedy narrowly avoided in early morning fires

A Red Deer woman on oxygen was fortunate to escape injury when a cigarette ignited a small fire on Thursday morning.

A Red Deer woman on oxygen was fortunate to escape injury when a cigarette ignited a small fire on Thursday morning.

The woman living in Parkside Estates trailer park was smoking when the cigarette dropped and burned up the oxygen line, igniting the couch, said Red Deer Emergency Services platoon chief Kelly Wilson.

The couch smouldered but the fire did not spread and the woman wasn’t injured in the 7:28 a.m. incident. Damage was minor.

“She was lucky,” said Wilson.

Fire-medics were also at an earlier call at 6022 58th Ave., where a heater hooked up to a large propane tank sparked a fire in a garage shortly after 6 a.m.

“There was a small leak and there was a small fire at the top of the tank that spread to a bookcase,” he said. There was minimal damage to the bookcase and no structural damage to the detached garage. There were no injuries.