Good food, good fun and a great cause come together at the Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter’s annual dinner and auction March 16.
Coming to the Black Knight Inn, the gala evening includes a full night of exceptional food, entertainment and support for the shelter’s efforts to help local families live lives free of violence.
Since 1981, the Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter has offered safe refuge, personal counselling and community support for families experiencing family violence.
Today, the shelter has room for 38 women and children at any given time, support made possible thanks to the many dedicated staff, volunteers and community supporters.
- Every year, shelter staff support close to 3,000 people who have made the brave step towards a life free from violence. However thousands more in the community still need their help.
- And, since CAWES administrative costs – such as shelter heat, the state-of-the-art security system and expert staff – are less than 10 per cent of total expenses, 90 cents of every dollar goes directly to programs for families affected by domestic violence.
- Family Violence Accounted for 26 per cent of all police-reported violent crime in 2011 and it’s estimated that two-thirds of all criminal victimization is not reported to the police.
How you can help:
The good news is that CAWES’ dedication to prevention initiatives, child-focused healing programs and providing tools for clients to become safely independent are supporting improvements in rates of family violence in Central Alberta.
- Get your tickets today – $150 each or $1,100 for a table of eight – to the annual dinner and auction, Friday, March 16 at the Black Knight Inn. Enjoy a cocktail reception at 5:30 p.m., four-course dinner at 6 p.m. and plenty of entertainment, including live and silent auctions, a wine grab and live entertainment by St. James’ Gate. You’ll also enjoy an evening of prizes, including the draw for the WestJet Gift of Flight Raffle – a round trip for two guests, to any regularly scheduled WestJet destination! (Note that tickets are only available until noon March 16; winners do not need to be in attendance.)
- Help sponsor the event. Numerous sponsorship opportunities are available. Visit online or contact Roxanne Kirton at 403-352-4080 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can’t attend the gala? Consider lending your support to CAWES’ invaluable work with a donation!