Dutch-Canadians love a celebration, so when an anniversary happens to fall in the same month as King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands’ birthday, you know you’re in for a party.
Just ask the folks at Gull Lake’s Wooden Shoe Store & Coffee Shop!
Renowned as Central Alberta’s source for all manner of Dutch treats, cheeses and more, Wooden Shoe owners Christine Luymes and Val Van Aken are marking 12 years behind the counter April 2. That launches a month of special events, great deals and other activities that continue right through the King’s birthday, April 27.
“We do something special every year,” Christine says. “People are already asking what we have planned for the King’s birthday – it’s a lot of fun!”
Here’s what’s on the calendar:
- Stop by for a cupcake – choose from chocolate, vanilla and carrot cake!! – enter the anniversary draw, find some special prices, giveaways and more on Tuesday, April 2. The festivities also kick off several weeks of special deals on unique Dutch favourites, beginning with…
- Senseo! The perfect treat for coffee lovers, this Dutch coffee system offers both expertly selected and crafted blends and intelligently designed, fast-brewing appliances.
- Come back for week 2, which features Val’s favourite treat from the sweets aisle: Klene Candy, appropriately named “jouw favoriet” or “your favourite” sweet licorice. Yum!
- For Week 3, it’s time to celebrate Christine’s colourful candy pick – Red Band Drop Fruit Duos.
- Week 4? The Wooden Shoe colours the world orange for King Willem-Alexander’s birthday. Find everything orange on sale – including the popular Honig soups that let you re-create a taste of the Netherlands in your own kitchen. Wear orange to the store and receive 10 per cent off your Dutch order. Better yet, let them take your photo in all your orange finery and vie for more prizes – and the title best-dressed guest! (And don’t forget to vote April 28 and 29.) You can also enter your name for the in-store draw for a basket of Dutch treats. Follow the Wooden Shoe’s Facebook page to stay up-to-date with all the fun!
Located at 40 Lakeview Ave. in the village of Gull Lake, Alberta, about 15km west of Lacombe off Highway 12, the Wooden Shoe Store & Coffee Shop is your source for all things Dutch, in addition to yummy breakfasts, lunch and coffee!