Our skin is the largest organ of our body, serving multiple functions, so why aren’t we doing more to protect it?
After all, by taking care of our skin, we’re making sure it’s healthy enough to take care of us!
“Many people overlook the functions of our skin and don’t realize its importance – which is why we offer treatments and products that will help repair some of the existing damage while preventing future harm,” explains Sarah Noble of Iconic Beauty Aesthetics in Red Deer.
So, just what does our skin do for us?
- Protection: A vital function of our skin is to act as a barrier, protecting us from injury and outside bacteria.
- Thermoregulation: By perspiring through out pores, our skin is helping regulate our body’s temperature, cooling us down when we’re too warm.
- Absorption: Our skin allows us to absorb products through our hair follicles and pores, with areas such as our scalp absorbing products better than other areas due to the higher concentration of pores and hair follicles.
- Sensation: Skin recognizes and transmits sensations through our sensory nerve endings.
- Release of sebum: Think of sebum as your body’s own moisturizer in a way, it’s the oily substance that your body creates which then coats, moisturizes and protects your skin.
Because understanding the anatomy and science behind your skin can be confusing, it’s important to trust the professionals to ensure you’re using the right products for your skin type and conditions.
Different skin types include normal, dry or oily – or combination – determined through pore size, wrinkles and fine lines, and blemishes or lack thereof.
Alternatively, skin conditions are influenced by skin type and include congested, acne, dehydrated skin, sensitive areas, rosacea, pigmentation and aging, to name a few.
Using the quality, scientifically backed products, such as Skinceutical, a physician-based skincare prescription that encourages optimal skin health by Dermatologist Dr. Pinnell – Iconic Beauty is bringing quality skincare products to Red Deer. And, with 35 peer reviewed articles published on their products, they’ve got the science to back the claims!
The philosophy of their skincare line is threefold:
- Prevent: future skin damage and neutralize free radicals induced by UVA/UVB and pollution, for example. The Skinceutical CE Ferulic serum increases our skin’s protection against our natural environment eight times over!
- Correct: visible signs of pre-existing skin concerns. SkinCeuticals Retinol is“The MVP of skincare – retinol literally does it all,” Noble explains.
- Protect: healthy skin with sunscreens. At Iconic Beauty, the lightweight tinted protection offered by Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 is a go-to.
To learn more, visit Iconic Beauty online today!