IG Wealth Management has awarded the Red Deer IG Wealth Management team a prestigious community builder award for their countless hours volunteering, fundraising and supporting their local community.
Regional Director Dave Nuth and the Red Deer region office have received the 2021 Murray J. Taylor Community Builder Award for outstanding dedication to their community.
Nuth shared that he’s proud of his region’s long history of fostering a culture of togetherness and helpfulness in the community.
“In our region, it’s the whole team that is really involved in helping the community. It’s not just the regional vice-president or the management team that is driving the bus,” he says, noting that supporting one another has been especially important throughout the pandemic.
“I’ve always thought we have a responsibility to help others, particularly in the past few years when things have been so hard for so many people.”
The Murray J. Taylor Community Builder Award is one of IG Wealth Management’s most prestigious recognitions and is presented annually to one regional office who demonstrated outstanding community commitment on multiple fronts.
The award includes a $15,000 donation to the charitable organization of the regional office’s choice and $10,000 invested into an Award Alumni Foundation account.
To be considered for this award, the office must demonstrate depth and breadth in their community involvement over time through volunteer hours, dollars raised, overall community impact and recognition by community stakeholders.
From making bowls of soup to hosting virtual bingos, the IG Wealth Management Red Deer team has more than enough examples of office members putting in the time and effort to support their local community.
One such example is the region’s participation in the annual Bowls for Bellies event in support of The Mustard Seed. Created by consultant Jillian Vukovich, Bowls for Bellies has local students make bowls that Red Deer restaurants fill with their best soup. The bowls of soup are then purchased by donation. To say that it was a success in its inaugural year would be an understatement. The 2019 Bowls for Bellies was the largest event The Mustard Seed has ever had and raised over $12,000!
Another noteworthy team-led event was 2021’s “Pie the RD,” for which Nuth volunteered to be “pied” in the face in exchange for donations to local charities.
Some of the office’s other major successful initiatives last year included:
- Cooking meals and purchasing food for the residents of the local Ronald McDonald House.
- Sponsoring the Red Deer & District Community Foundation’s Women of Excellence Awards. Also, donating $7,500 and promoting gender equality by raising money and awareness for Women & Girls Endowment Fund.
- Participating in all national charitable IG events, including the IG Walk for Alzheimer’s and the IG Wealth Management Comedy Tour.
- With COVID-19 restrictions creating challenges for fundraising last year, the office invited members of the Alzheimer Society of Northern Alberta and Northwest Territories to speak and raised nearly $10,000.
- Hosting virtual bingos and barbecues to raise money for United Way Central Alberta and other charities, including Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter, Central Alberta Humane Society and the Alzheimer Society. In 2021, regional participation increased by 10 per cent and donations increased by 49 per cent.
- Donating $3,000 plus food to the Red Deer Food Bank Society. In other years, the region has supported the IG Wealth Management Comedy Tour in support of local food banks. The region office also organized a Christmas concert that raised more than $7,000.