By the end of this year’s official Westerner Days kick-off at Bower Place, some 15,000 pancakes and sausages will have fuelled an exciting start to this year’s festivities!
From 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 13, volunteer flippers and grillers will have fed more than 5,000 expected guests at the 38th annual breakfast.
Not only will the popular pancake breakfast celebrate the start of this year’s festivities, it will also raise valuable funds and awareness for this year’s charity of choice, the Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre, says Carlene McDonald, Bower Place Marketing Director.
“People have been coming for many years and look forward to it because it’s such a fun community event – and a great way to kick off Westerner Days,” McDonald says.
So don your best western gear and mosey on over to the mall’s southwest corner parking lot, near the Hudson’s Bay, where you’ll enjoy a morning round-up of music, kids’ activities and a full breakfast of pancakes, Olymel sausages, coffee and juice.
Held rain or shine, the event is free, but cash donations are strongly encouraged, with all proceeds benefitting the Child Advocacy Centre, a not-for-profit organization rooted in the protection and recovery of Central Alberta children who have been abused and their families.
“We always have a great community response,” McDonald says. “Our goal is to raise $10,000 through this pancake breakfast, so please help us in achieving our goal!”
Here’s what they’re cooking up for the morning:
- Media and sponsor pancake stacking competition kicks the event off at 8 a.m
- The Powered by Pancakes Pancake Bar and Maple Syrup Sticky Station
- The Did Someone Say Sausages? Sausage Pit-Stop, sponsored by Olymel
- Coffee Now, Pancakes Later, sponsored by Salut Mobile Bar
- A live musical performance by Chris LeBlanc
- Short Stack Relay Race for kids of all ages
- After This We’re Getting Pancakes children’s activity station, including country braid station from Chatters and Green Apple
- But First, Pancake Pics photo station
- Celebrity Chuck Wagon racer meet-and-greet
“Bring your whole family – it’s going to be a lot of fun!”
Westerner Days Fair & Exposition is Central Alberta’s largest summer celebration and boasts agriculture, a midway, concerts, fireworks and so much more!