At least three companies participating in competition to design new warships

OTTAWA — Federal procurement officials say several companies are participating in a competition to design new warships for the navy — proof that Canada’s largest planned military purchase remains on course.

The federal government launched a competition last fall asking some of the world’s largest defence and shipbuilding firms to design a potential replacement for the navy’s frigates and destroyers.

The design competition is the most recent — and arguably most sensitive — phase in the entire $60-billion plan to build 15 new warships, construction of which is expected to begin in 2021.

Yet the competition has been plagued with questions and concerns from the start, including the fact officials have not set a new deadline for bids after extending the competition a second time in May.

Some industry representatives had said the issues were so bad that most of the firms asked to participate would steer clear of the competition, rather than waste millions preparing a bid.

But in an interview with The Canadian Press on Friday, senior procurement officials revealed that at least three companies have submitted draft bids to make sure they are on the right track.

Officials would not reveal the exact number of draft bids, but said the fact so many companies have asked for feedback is a good sign — and sets the stage for a strong finish to the competition.

“We’ve got good competition,” said Lisa Campbell, head of military procurement at Public Services and Procurement Canada.

“The standard for that is typically at least three bids, and we’ve received more than three draft bids.”

Those drafts are now being reviewed, she added, after which a date will be set for firms to make final submissions. The new date will be at least four weeks after the draft review is over.

Companies were originally given until mid-April to submit their bids, but the government extended the competition to June before backing off that date as well.

Some experts have worried the government has opened itself up to lawsuits from losing firms by moving the deadline twice, while others say it points to underlying weaknesses in the competition.

Scott Leslie, director general of the large combat ship construction sector at Public Services and Procurement Canada, said steps have been taken to protect the government from legal action.

“We work very closely with our Justice Canada colleagues in developing these (competitions),” he said.

“And I can also tell you that from our point of view, the most important thing is that we say what we’re going to do, and then we do it.”

The missing deadline isn’t the only concern raised about the design competition, being run jointly by the government and Halifax-based Irving Shipyards, which will build the warships.

Some have questioned Irving’s role in the competition, while many companies are angry that British firm BAE could enter its Type 26 vessel despite the ship having never been built.

Defence officials and Irving have also previously warned that time is of the essence when it comes to starting construction, and that they are trying to shave 18 to 24 months off the project.

And some companies have privately railed against the amount of valuable intellectual property they are being asked to hand over to the government and Irving as part of their bids.

Campbell defended the intellectual property requirements, saying the government was only asking for what it needed to “design, build, operate, maintain and ultimately dispose” of the ships.

And she maintained the government is in charge of the competition, despite Irving’s involvement.

“Canada is leading the procurement,” she said. “We define the requirement. We helped develop the evaluation criteria and process. We signed off on it. And we’re overseeing everything Irving does.”

Just Posted

WATCH: Property taxes in Red Deer will go up 2.02 per cent in 2018

City council passes a “tough” budget that maintains most service levels

Red Deer councillor balks at city getting stuck with more provincial funding responsibilities

Volunteer Central seeks municipal funding after being cut off by FCSS

Olds chicken barn burns to the ground, no livestock harmed

More than 100,000 chickens were saved as fire crews prevent the blaze from spreading

Bear video meant to promote conservation: zoo owner

Discovery Wildlife Park says it will look at other ways to promote its conservation message

Red Deer’s Soundhouse closing its doors on Record Store Day

The owners of The Soundhouse want to shut down their store on… Continue reading

NorAm Western Canadian Cross Country Ski Championships begin in Red Deer

The biggest cross-country skiing competition in Red Deer’s history is underway. Nearly… Continue reading

In photos: Get ready for Western Canadian Championships

Haywood NorAm Western Canadian Championships and Peavey Mart Alberta Cup 5/6 start… Continue reading

WATCH: Red Deer city council debates cost-savings versus quality of life

Majority of councillors decide certain services are worth preserving

Got milk? Highway reopened near Millet

A southbound truck hauling milk and cartons collided with a bridge

Stettler’s newest residents overcame fear, bloodshed to come here

Daniel Kwizera, Diane Mukasine and kids now permanent residents

Giddy up: Red Deer to host Canadian Finals Rodeo in 2018

The CFR is expected to bring $20-30 million annually to Red Deer and region

Ice dancers Virtue and Moir to carry flag at Pyeongchang Olympics

Not since Kurt Browning at the 1994 Lillehammer Games has a figure… Continue reading

Beer Canada calls on feds to axe increasing beer tax as consumption trends down

OTTAWA — A trade association for Canada’s beer industry wants the federal… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month