Bloc ‘convinced’ of fall election, prepares two-pronged ads on rivals

QUEBEC — Convinced that a fall election is on the horizon, Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe unveiled his plan Tuesday for a double-barrelled blast against Michael Ignatieff and Stephen Harper.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe walks by a Bloc pre-election campaign poster after the first of a two-day caucus meeting Tuesday

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe walks by a Bloc pre-election campaign poster after the first of a two-day caucus meeting Tuesday

QUEBEC — Convinced that a fall election is on the horizon, Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe unveiled his plan Tuesday for a double-barrelled blast against Michael Ignatieff and Stephen Harper.

The sovereigntist party is preparing, for the first time in memory, a two-pronged offensive that will include ads tearing a strip off two adversaries.

That Duceppe has targeted the two big national parties at the same time is the clearest indication yet of how Quebec could become a three-way battlefield in the next election.

Speaking to reporters after a caucus meeting in Quebec City, Duceppe said the chances of a fall vote are “more than great.”

He offered a preview of what will be a key campaign theme: that Ignatieff and Harper are identical.

Duceppe said both men have thrown their support behind the oilsands, the Iraq war and Ontario’s ailing auto sector — but not Quebec’s sagging forestry industry.

“In reality, the Liberal leader has the same position as Stephen Harper regarding everything that’s essential for Quebec,” Duceppe said in a speech that primarily targeted Ignatieff.

“Only the Bloc stands up for the interests of Quebec.”

Duceppe showed off a print version of his campaign ads, which feature black-and-white photos of half the faces of Harper and Ignatieff — side by side.

In bold letters, the ad reads: “Two parties, one opinion.”

Duceppe said the campaign will also show Quebecers that his two main rivals share the same restrictive vision of the Quebecois nation.

“Mr. Harper said, ’We recognized the nation, it’s over.’ Mr. Ignatieff said, ’Quebec doesn’t need any more powers,’ ” said Duceppe, who would not reveal the launch dates for the ads.

“Mr. Ignatieff practically denies the existence of the fiscal imbalance. Mr. Harper tells us that it’s finished.”

After recently touring much of the province, the Bloc leader said he’s almost certain that Canadians will head to the polls this fall.

“I’ve acquired over recent days across Quebec the firm conviction that, barring a major change, there will be an election,” said Duceppe, who indicated that his party is battle-ready, having already named candidates in 67 of Quebec’s 75 ridings.

“Mr. Ignatieff was clear — he can no longer back away. As for Mr. Harper, he is inflexible and has not given any signs of openness.

“The chances of an election are more than great.”

Last week, Ignatieff announced that his party will try to topple the Harper government this fall.

The Liberal leader said the fate of the Conservative minority government is now in the hands of the other parties.

On Tuesday, Ignatieff reiterated his intention to pull the plug on the Tories, even as a new survey suggested Liberal poll numbers had softened in Quebec.

“We believe that if you’re running the largest deficit in history, terrible unemployment numbers, record bankruptcies, and you’re letting Canadian champions down, you’re not investing in the jobs of tomorrow and the know-how of tomorrow, then we can’t support you,” Ignatieff said in Kitchener, Ont.

“We need to be present for Canadians with an alternative and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Ignatieff called Duceppe’s ads “very negative.”

He said his party wants Quebec to be a part of the Canadian government, “at the centre of a good Liberal government.”

The Bloc’s campaign strategy this time differs from the last few elections, where Duceppe concentrated either on the Tories or the Liberals and largely ignored the other.

One of the reasons Duceppe’s party lost seats in 2006 was it was caught off-guard by the rise of the Tories. After having spent more than a decade exclusively attacking Liberals, it took the Bloc precious campaign days to recalibrate their sights on a new enemy.

The latest change in strategy suggests the Bloc may feel threatened by the Ignatieff-led Liberal Party.

Leading up to last year’s federal election campaign, Duceppe declared that the battle for Quebec would be a dogfight between the Bloc and the Tories.

In many of his campaign speeches he paid little or no attention to the Liberals — then led by Stephane Dion — and even brushed aside questions about a party he concerned a non-threat.

Duceppe’s remarks Tuesday suggest the minority government has only one potential dance partner remaining: NDP Leader Jack Layton.

The government is now showing signs it might be eager to court Layton, announcing that it plans to make changes to Employment Insurance that would benefit long-time workers who’ve lost their jobs.

Conservative cabinet minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn told the LCN all-news network Tuesday that Canadians don’t want an election.

Blackburn said it’s not too late for opposition parties to change their mind.

“For sure, the parties can still say, in the interest of Canadians, ’No, we don’t want an election, we can support the government,’ ” he said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Asymptomatic testing will now be available for "priority groups" who are most likely to spread the COVID-19 virus to vulnerable or at-risk populations. File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS
Marcus Golczyk, with Taco Monster, hands food to a customer during Food Truck Drive and Dash in the Westerner Park parking lot in Red Deer Friday afternoon. The drive-thru event will run every Thursday from 4-7 p.m. and Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. through June. Photo by SEAN MCINTOSH/Advocate staff
Food Truck Fridays, Food Truck Drive and Dash return in Red Deer

Red Deerians are able to take in a drive-thru food truck experience… Continue reading

Don and Gloria Moore, of Red Deer, are set to celebrate their 70th anniversary later this month. (Contributed photo)
Red Deer couple to celebrate 70th anniversary

Red Deer couple Don and Gloria Moore are set to celebrate their… Continue reading

Chris Scott, owner of The Whistle Stop Cafe, was put in handcuffs after an anti-restriction protest Saturday in the parking lot of the business. (Screenshot via The Whistle Stop Facebook page)
UPDATE: Central Alberta cafe owner arrested after anti-restriction protest

The owner of a central Alberta cafe, which was the site of… Continue reading

Alberta has 1,910 active cases of COVID-19 as of Wednesday. Red Deer is reporting five active cases, with 108 recovered. (File photo)
Red Deer now has 911 active COVID-19 cases

Central zone has 2,917 active cases

FILE - A firefighter wears a mask as he drives his truck. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward, File
VIDEO: Flames rip through Edmonton-area seniors complex, but no fatalities

ST. ALBERT, Alta. — Fire has destroyed part of a retirement complex… Continue reading

Quebec Premier Francois Legault chairs a premiers virtual news conference as premiers John Horgan, B.C., Jason Kenney, Alberta, and Scott Moe, Saskatchewan, are seen onscreen, Thursday, March 4, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Several provinces bring in new restrictions as high COVID-19 case numbers persist

Several provinces are gearing up to tighten public health measures once again… Continue reading

Members of the RCAF take part in a Royal Canadian Air Force change of command ceremony in Ottawa on Friday, May 4, 2018. The Royal Canadian Air Force is hoping Canada will open its doors to military pilots from other countries as it seeks to address a longstanding shortage of experienced aviators. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle
RCAF turns to foreign pilots to help with shortage as commercial aviators stay away

OTTAWA — The Royal Canadian Air Force is hoping Canada will open… Continue reading

An arrivals and departures information screen is seen at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport in Halifax on Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018. The chief executive of Atlantic Canada's largest airport is hoping for COVID-19 testing for arriving passengers "sooner rather than later," as an added measure to combat the province's third wave of the virus. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Halifax airport CEO hopes for more on-site COVID testing ‘sooner rather than later’

HALIFAX — The chief executive of Atlantic Canada’s largest airport is hoping… Continue reading

Shoppers wear mask as they shop at a nursery & garden shop on Mother's Day weekend during COVID-19 pandemic in Wilmette, Ill., Saturday, May 8, 2021. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
Tearful reunions mark second Mother’s Day under pandemic

Last Mother’s Day, they celebrated with bacon and eggs over FaceTime. This… Continue reading

Arizona Coyotes head coach Rick Tocchet, standing, watches the game during the second period of an NHL hockey game Wednesday, April 14, 2021, in St. Paul, Minn. The Wild won 5-2. (AP Photo/Craig Lassig)
Tocchet won’t return as coach of Coyotes after 4 seasons

GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Arizona Coyotes and coach Rick Tocchet have mutually… Continue reading

Columbus Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella shouts at an official after a fight between Columbus Blue Jackets' s Gavin Bayreuther and Florida Panthers' Sam Bennett during the second period of an NHL hockey game, Monday, April 19, 2021, in Sunrise, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)
Tortorella out after 6 years as Columbus Blue Jackets coach

COLUMBUS, Ohio — John Tortorella is out as coach of the Columbus… Continue reading

A caribou grazes on Baffin Island in a 2008 file photo. A last-ditch attempt to save some of Canada's vanishing caribou herds is a step closer after a scientific review panel's approval of a plan to permanently pen some animals and breed them to repopulate other herds. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Kike Calvo via AP Images
Parks Canada captive caribou breeding proposal gets OK from scientific review panel

JASPER, Alta. — A last-ditch attempt to save some of Canada’s vanishing… Continue reading

The smouldering remains of houses in Slave Lake, Alta., are seen in a May 16, 2011, file photo. The wildfire that is devastating large swaths of the northern Alberta city of Fort McMurray comes just five years after another blaze destroyed 400 buildings and left 2,000 people homeless in Slave Lake, Alberta. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ian Jackson
Ten years later: Five things to know about the Slave Lake wildfire

A wildfire burned about one-third of Slave Lake in northern Alberta in… Continue reading

Most Read