Canada briefs – January 27

The RCMP are investigating a strange incident in which a man was found handcuffed to a telephone pole in his underwear Tuesday morning near Nanaimo, B.C.

Man in underwear found handcuffed to telephone pole

The RCMP are investigating a strange incident in which a man was found handcuffed to a telephone pole in his underwear Tuesday morning near Nanaimo, B.C.

The 24-year-old man was suffering mild hypothermia when police freed him in the town of Lanzville. He told them he’d been abducted and beaten by a group of men who later handcuffed him to the pole, stripped him down to his boxers and stole his wallet.

Police say the man won’t tell them who his attackers were or what the motive was.


Body of dead dog found in block of ice outside home

DAWSON CREEK, B.C. — The SPCA says the body of a dead dog was found in a block of ice left on the lawn of a home in Dawson Creek in northeast B.C.

The agency says a resident found the ice on his lawn last Saturday with the corpse of a medium-size black dog locked inside.

The SPCA says the homeowner did not know the dog and the Society is trying to determine the cause of death as well as find the dog’s owner.

Meanwhile, the Crown has approved animal cruelty charges against Norman Modeste and Patrick Edwards of Duncan, B.C. in a case in which a dog was allegedly dragged behind a truck.

The SPCA say a miniature pinscher named Princess was dragged behind the vehicle by accident after being tied to the bumper in August of last year.


Saskatchewan teen snowmobiler found safe

Searchers say they were lucky to find a 16-year-old boy alive after he disappeared in rough weather while snowmobiling in northern Saskatchewan.

The teen was found late Monday evening while he was walking toward a mining road after abandoning his snowmobile on Wollaston Lake.

Over the weekend, a man from the Waldheim area of Saskatchewan was treated for hypothermia after he spent a night outdoors when his snowmobile broke down.


Regina police hand out 488 tickets to drivers using hand-held cellphones

REGINA — Regina police say they issued 488 tickets to people using their hand-held cellphones while driving in 2010.

The law banning the use of hand-held cellphones while driving came into effect in January 2010.

It prohibits using the phone to make or take calls, sending or receiving text messages, surfing the Internet or using “push to talk” technology.

The penalty for using a cellphone while driving is $280 and four demerit points under the Safe Driver Recognition and Driver Improvement programs.