Schoenborn trial adjourned
KAMLOOPS, B.C. — The murder trial of a B.C. father who has admitted to killing his three children has been adjourned.
The trial of Allan Schoenborn will resume in a Kamloops, B.C., courtroom in November to hear testimony from psychiatrists.
The break comes after two and a half days of often shocking testimony from Schoenborn, who is charged with three counts of first-degree murder.
In his testimony the 41-year-old described how he stabbed to death 10-year-old Kaitlynne, and then suffocated eight-year-old Max and five-year-old Cordon in April 2008 in their Merritt, B.C., home.
Schoenborn testified that he believed the children were being sexually abused and he killed them to save them, and his defence lawyer has painted a picture of a paranoid father whose mental illness led him to kill.
The Crown maintains that the slayings were an act of revenge on his estranged wife.
Accused showed off gun: witness
YELLOWKNIFE — A witness has testified in a Yellowknife courtroom that the man accused of shooting an RCMP officer to death didn’t mind showing his gun and bullets to people who were interested.
Jody Lilley, who is 19, has told jurors at the first-degree murder trial that Emrah Bulatci would pull a gun out of the waistband of his pants if people asked to see it.
Bulatci, who is 25 and lives in St. Albert, north of Edmonton, is charged in the death of Const. Chris Worden.
Worden was killed in a wooded area near a home in Hay River, N.W.T. in October of 2007.
Eighteen-year-old Darren Martel testified he’d first seen Bulatci at the home about four years before and had seen him selling crack cocaine from the house.
Court has also heard that a party was going on during the early hours before the Mountie was shot.
H1N1 strikes Ontario again
TORONTO — Ontario’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Arlene King is confirming that the second wave of H1N1 has arrived in Ontario.
“Influenza activity in the province is continuing to increase,” she said.
“We are seeing that more people are visiting their health-care providers with influenza-like illness and more people are being hospitalized with complications from the flu in Ontario.”
King said 28 people in the province who contracted swine flu have died since April, up one from the 27 reported earlier this week.
There are 439 people who have been hospitalized with confirmed cases of H1N1, and all but 31 of those people had been discharged.
Ottawa approved the H1N1 vaccine on Wednesday, and King says 722,000 doses of the vaccine will have arrived at province’s 36 local health units by day’s end Friday. The province expects to receive a second shipment of vaccine next week.
They will be available to certain high-risk groups Monday.
People who should be immunized first include adults 65 and under with chronic health conditions, pregnant women, healthy children six months to under five years old, health-care workers and people in remote or isolated communities, King said.