WINNIPEG — The fiery crash of a CF-18 jet last week in Alberta has prompted the military to cancel including such fighter jets at air shows for the remainder of the year.
The pilot of the CF-18 that crashed last Friday in Lethbridge suffered back injuries when he ejected and his parachute barely had time to deploy before he landed on the ground.
The acting commander of 1 Canadian Air Division says there is not enough time to find a qualified air show pilot to replace Capt. Brian Bews, who is recovering from his injuries.
“It is unfortunate we will not be able to finish the season,” Brig.-Gen. Richard Foster said Friday in a release.
“We simply cannot and will not rush the preparation of another demo pilot. The well-being of our pilots and their safety will always be the deciding factors in such decisions.”
A CF-18 was to appear at eight air shows including events set for Wetaskiwin, Alta., Abbotsford, B.C., Windsor, Ont., Val d’Or, Que., Toronto, Shearwater, N.S., Salinas, CA., and San Francisco.
The exact cause of the CF-18 crash in Lethbridge is under investigation.
Bews was making a low-speed pass at low altitude during a practise for an air show when the jet appeared to stall and then plunged to the ground.