Couple charged in quadruple killing may not contact other kids

A Montreal couple accused of killing three of their daughters and the man’s first wife have lost a bid to maintain some contact with three of their other children.

Mohammad Shafia is taken into court in Kingston

KINGSTON, Ont. — A Montreal couple accused of killing three of their daughters and the man’s first wife have lost a bid to maintain some contact with three of their other children.

Mohammed Shafia and his wife, Tooba Mohammed Yahya, sat quietly as they appeared in a Kingston, Ont., bail court on Tuesday.

A court order prohibiting the pair from communicating with each other or their eldest son and co-accused, 18-year-old Hamed Shafia, remains in effect.

The son was not in court with his parents, but is scheduled to make a bail court appearance by video-link on Friday.

All three are charged with four counts of first-degree murder and matching counts of conspiracy to commit murder in the deaths of three of the family’s daughters, 19-year-old Zainab Shafia, 17-year-old Sahar, 13-year-old Geeti and 50-year-old Rona Amir Mohammed.

Their bodies were pulled from the Rideau Canal near Kingston on June 30 after a car was discovered submerged near one of the locks.

Earlier this month, defence lawyers convinced the court to allow the parents and children to speak, providing that permission could be obtained from child protection authorities in Montreal.

But on Tuesday, a Justice of the Peace rescinded the exemption and again ordered Shafia and Yahya to have no communication with the children.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

RCMP investigate possible drowning at Pigeon Lake: Man and woman found dead on shore

Bodies recovered from Pigeon Lake’s northeastern shores.

Red Deer Region Highland Dancing Association to participate in national dance-a-thon

Central Albertan dancers have missed performing during the COVID-19 pandemic, says the… Continue reading

Maskwacis teen charged in 10-year-old boy’s death

The RCMP Major Crimes Unit have laid a manslaughter charge against a 13-year-old boy from Maskwacis.

Still no mandatory masks in Red Deer

While a growing number of Alberta communities have made masks mandatory, the… Continue reading

Cast your votes for Best of Red Deer

The Advocate’s Best of Red Deer Readers’ Choice Awards are back. Community… Continue reading

69 salmonella cases in B.C. linked to red onions, province’s CDC says

VANCOUVER — The BC Centre for Disease Control is warning people in… Continue reading

Puncher’s chance: Fighting is up during unique NHL playoffs

The Toronto Maple Leafs’ season was hanging by a thread from one… Continue reading

Quebec festivals organizers look to innovate as restrictions loosened

Montreal has been having its quietest summer in recent memory, as COVID-19… Continue reading

COVID-19 outbreaks over in federal prisons, staff preparing for ‘new normal’

COVID-19 outbreaks in Canada’s federal prisons have been declared over, and staff… Continue reading

Canada to match donations to Lebanon relief

OTTAWA — The federal government will match all individual donations from Canadians… Continue reading

Protests in Beirut amid public fury over massive blast

BEIRUT — Police fired tear gas and clashed with demonstrators in Lebanon’s… Continue reading

Most Read