Tories expand national sex offender registry

All Canadians convicted of sex crimes will automatically have their names added to the national sex offender registry, under legislation Conservatives introduced Monday in a cross-country media blitz.

OTTAWA — All Canadians convicted of sex crimes will automatically have their names added to the national sex offender registry, under legislation Conservatives introduced Monday in a cross-country media blitz.

And whether it be a predatory pedophile, violent repeat rapist or an immature 21-year-old convicted of having a consensual relationship with a 15-year-old, police can use that information pre-emptively, rather than only as an investigative tool after a crime is committed.

“If police see an individual behaving suspiciously — near a school ground for example — they’ll be able to request information from the database,” Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan said at a news conference in Ottawa.

“They will be able to learn if the person involved is a registered sex offender.”

The new legislation, which won’t likely be passed into law until next fall at the earliest, includes mandatory submission of DNA samples.

Currently, a judge has to approve registration of a convicted offender after a formal application by the Crown.

“Almost half the sex offenders escape the registry,” said Van Loan. “That is not acceptable.”

The legislation will also require that Canadians convicted of sex crimes outside the country be included in the registry.

“No longer will Canada be a safe haven from which travelling sex offenders can operate safely,” said the minister.

Whether the expanded registry is good criminal justice policy is open to debate.

Whether it is good politics is not.

“It’s very consistent with much of the Tory agenda on crime,” said criminologist Neil Boyd of Simon Fraser University.

“They’re looking at how they can shape public opinion.”

A half dozen different Tory cabinet ministers delivered the registry’s tough-on-crime message Monday at various points across Canada. The government had already leaked the news to selected media outlets a day earlier.

Despite the massive media roll-out, the government was unable to say whether any new financial resources would be needed to handle the expanded registry.

Opposition MPs leapt on the bandwagon.

“My question to the Conservatives is, what’s taken three-and-a-half years to do it?” NDP MP Joe Comartin asked outside the Commons.

MP Dominic LeBlanc sounded the requisite Liberal concerns about the Charter of Rights but added that “at first glance, anything that will improve the reliability of the information on the registry seems to us to be appropriate.”

Just Posted

Walmart experiments with AI to monitor stores in real time

LEVITTOWN, N.Y. — Who’s minding the store? In the not-too-distant future it… Continue reading

Precision Drilling reports first-quarter profit, revenue up from year ago

CALGARY — Precision Drilling Corp. says it earned a profit in its… Continue reading

Federal government offers provinces 50/50 split on abandoned bus-route service

VANCOUVER — The federal government will split funding for bus service on… Continue reading

Manitoba files separate court action over federal carbon tax, seeks review

WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government has filed its own court challenge of… Continue reading

Bishop now the Stars goalie trying to beat Blues in playoffs

Ben Bishop grew up rooting for the St. Louis Blues before being… Continue reading

Nashville gets its chance to step up for NFL draft

NASHVILLE — Broadway in downtown Nashville is as lively a place as… Continue reading

The Cranberries, still in mourning, return for the last time

NEW YORK — Whether or not there would be a final Cranberries’… Continue reading

Dance studio owner in dispute with Burton Cummings fined for noise ticket

MOOSE JAW, Sask. — The owner of a dance fitness studio who… Continue reading

Gardening: Time and effort key to buying garden plants

Greenhouses, garden centers and box stores are set to start selling bedding… Continue reading

Montreal native Nicholas Latifi off to solid start on Formula 2 race circuit

Practice makes perfect for Canadian Nicholas Latifi. The 23-year-old Montreal auto racer… Continue reading

Bruins victory over Leafs ensures an American team will hoist the Stanley Cup

TORONTO — Many NHL players were either not yet born or too… Continue reading

Swole, buzzy, among new words in Merriam-Webster dictionary

BOSTON — Get swole, prepare a bug-out bag, grab a go-cup and… Continue reading

Most Read