Young child’s swine flu death is first in B.C., raises national tally to 43

VANCOUVER — Health officials in B.C. have confirmed the province’s first death associated with swine flu, raising the national tally to 43.

VANCOUVER — Health officials in B.C. have confirmed the province’s first death associated with swine flu, raising the national tally to 43.

A young child, who had underlying medical conditions, was admitted to hospital on Sunday and died within 24 hours of admission. Testing confirmed the child did have the H1N1 virus.

“We’ve confirmed the first known H1N1-linked death in our province,” said Roy Wadia, spokesman for the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

The child’s age and gender were not disclosed.

Wadia said a second British Columbian, also from the province’s Fraser Valley, likely had H1N1 when she too passed away. But the young woman, who lived with someone diagnosed with the virus, was not confirmed to have the flu herself.

“If she had been tested (before she died) for H1N1, she may have been confirmed as a case but we’ll never really know and so she wouldn’t be counted as part of the official tally,” he said.

“It is likely she had H1N1 but it hasn’t been confirmed.”

There have been 382 confirmed H1N1 cases in B.C. overall. Fourteen of those patients have been admitted to hospital and five of those 14 have been admitted to the intensive care unit.

Provincial health officer Dr. Perry Kendall said any death is a tragedy and extended his sympathies to the families.

Kendall said health officials anticipated there would be some deaths in B.C.

“As unfortunate and tragic as these cases are, it was not unexpected that British Columbia would see some deaths caused by or associated with the H1N1 flu virus,” Kendall said in a statement.

When asked how B.C. managed to fend off its first death as long as it did, Wadia said there were a number of factors at play.

“Certainly, we have been encouraging people since the early days of the outbreak to come forward and get tested, especially in the first few months when the cases were more travel-linked,” he said.

“And so it may well be that our system has been able to catch cases early in the game. It’s also a combination of good fortunate, as well.”

Earlier Tuesday, health officials in Quebec reported another death in that province associated with the swine flu.

Across Canada, there have been more than 9,700 cases of the virus since the outbreak began, with most being mild.

There have also been 14 deaths in Ontario, six in Manitoba, three in Saskatchewan and three in Alberta.

Nationwide, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year.

The Public Health Agency’s website says between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

College expects lower enrolment but president remains optimistic

International travel restrictions will have big impact on foreign students

Overwhelming majority of Red Deer students could be back in classrooms this fall

Preliminary survey results show 94 per cent parental support

Some Red Deer County residents oppose a gravel pit proposed for a flood-prone area

Howell’s Excavation co-owner says the proposal meets or exceeds standards

Workers at Regina linen company contract COVID-19 but facility safe: officials

REGINA — Health officials say 18 employees at a linen facility in… Continue reading

More COVID cases among Manitoba meat plant staff, but no closure planned

BRANDON, Man. — Manitoba’s top doctor says stricter regional restrictions are possible… Continue reading

Alberta reports 257 new cases of COVID-19

The Alberta government reported 257 new cases of COVID-19 in its latest… Continue reading

Cast your votes for Best of Red Deer

The Advocate’s Best of Red Deer Readers’ Choice Awards are back. Community… Continue reading

Vigil held in Maskwacis for 10-year-old boy

Samson Cree Nation comes together for comfort, console each other

Cuts to environmental monitoring budget In Alberta’s oilsands are viewed as reckless

The 2019-2020 budget saw $58 million dollars being dedicated to environmental monitoring

N.L. reports second COVID-19 case linked to out-of-province TV series worker

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — A second person who works on the St.… Continue reading

World shares march higher as S&P 500 nears all-time record

World stock markets rallied on Tuesday after U.S. President Donald Trump said… Continue reading

Russia’s approval of virus vaccine greeted with some alarm

MOSCOW — Russia on Tuesday became the first country to approve a… Continue reading

Police tried to cuff young boy at Florida school

KEY WEST, Fla. — A civil rights lawyer plans to sue the… Continue reading

Most Read