MONDAY, MARCH 14
• Red Deer Legion Branch #35 year round events: carpet bowling on Mondays at 9:30 a.m., and on Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m.; Bridge on Thursdays at 1 p.m.; and meat draws on Fridays at 5 p.m., and Saturdays at 4 p.m. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Red Deer Independent Film Group’s Reel Movie Mondays continue with The Illusionist on March 14 at Cineplex Galaxy Theatre at 7 p.m. Tickets at the door cost $8 for members and $10 for non-members. Memberships in the Red Deer Independent Film Group for $10, advance tickets, and ticket packages for the entire series may be purchased at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery. The series package is for $35 for members, and $45 for non-members. See reelmoviemondays.ca, or phone Keith at 403-347-2006 or James at 403-356-4859.
• Dawe Branch of Red Deer Public Library offers Preschool Storytime for children ages three to five years on Mondays from 10 to 11:45 a.m., and Toddler Play and Learn Time on Tuesdays from 10 to 10:30 a.m. for parents and caregivers with their newborns to two year olds. For details, phone 403-341-3822.
• Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is a 12-step support group offering a solution for all forms of food addiction. No dues, fees or weigh-in. Central Alberta groups meet in Lacombe, Red Deer and Rimbey. For more, call Joanne at 403-314-1972.
• Red Deer and area Toastmasters meet the following days and times: Sunrise meets Tuesdays at 7:15 a.m. in the Parkland Funeral Home, phone Mavis at 403-343-0091, email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com; Kitowin meets the first and third Wednesdays of each month at 7:30 p.m. in room 2402 at the Red Deer College, phone Kathryn at 403-342-1075, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Dream Catchers meet on Thursdays at 1 p.m. at Cosmos Centre, phone Kim at 403-343-0715, or email to email@example.com; Sylvan Slick Speakers meet on Mondays at Gospel Chapel in Sylvan Lake at 7 p.m., phone Debbie at 403-887-0968, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Red Deer and Central Alberta Chapter of the Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories hosts a support group for spouses the second Monday of each month from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at 101, 4728 Ross Street. Next meeting is March 14. For information phone 403-346-4636 or see www.alzheimer.ab.ca
• At The Hub: March 14 — health information for people with epilepsy from 5 to 6:30 p.m.; March 14 — Music Gallery jamming night from 7 to 9 p.m.; March 15 — information about Sunnybrook Farm and Heritage Ranch as part of Cougars Speakers series from 4:30 to 6:15 p.m.; March 16 — A Personal Journey of Positive Living with Mental Illness from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; March 17 and 18 — Central Music Festival Acoustic Semi-Finals from 6:30 to 9 p.m.; March 19 — Engaging Students with FASD session two, movie and discussion from 1 to 4 p.m.; March 20 — International Day to End Racial Discrimination potluck supper at 5 p.m. Phone 403-340-4869.
Simple Secrets to Reduce Stress and Anxiety with Dr. Steve Waddell, chiropractor and wellness coach, will be offered on March 14 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at The Hub. This workshop may be of interest to individuals with epilepsy and family members. Pre-registration is required by phoning Norma at 403-358-3358.
TUESDAY, MARCH 15
• Tony Connelly Singers Choral Group invites everyone to join them on Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. at the Senior Citizens Downtown House. Musical instruments encouraged. Call Shirley at 403-342-5904, or Alice at 403-343-3688 for more information.
• Memorial Society of Red Deer and District offers information on funeral options. A lifetime membership costs $25 and can be transferred to other societies in North America at little or no cost. To purchase a membership, or find out more, phone 403-346-4636 ext. 109, or see www.memorialsocietyrd.ca, or email to email@example.com.
• Learning Disabilities Association, Red Deer Chapter, offers monthly education sessions for parents and caregivers of children with ADHD the third Wednesday of each month from January through June, 7 to 9 p.m., at the Learning Disabilities Association, 2nd floor, 5017 – 50 St., Red Deer. Non-members $5. Preregister by calling Julie or Sophie at 340-3885. March 15 topic is eligible disability tax credits.
• Christopher Wiseman poetry reading at Red Deer College Library on March 15 starting at 7:30 p.m. Wiseman will be reading from his two most recent Canadian poetry books. Admission is free, and light refreshments will be available. See www.rdc.ab.ca
• Central Alberta Cystic Fibrosis Chapter meets the third Tuesday of every month at Bethany Care College Side at 7 p.m. Phone 403-347-5075.
Celiac Support Group meets in the coffee lounge at the south location of Sobeys Inc. on the third Tuesday of every month starting at 7 p.m. The next meeting will be on March 15. See www.celiac.ca, or contact Fay at 403-347-3248, or Clarice at 403-341-4351.
• Laughter Yoga Club will be offered on Tuesdays at noon at the Golden Circle. Suitable for all ages and mobility levels. No special clothing or equipment required. Cost is $10 per session.
• Senior Citizens Downtown House dance, Tuesday, March 15 at 7:30 p.m. with live music by Parkland Old Thyme Music Makers. The cost is $6. Phone 403-346-4043. Lunch provided by donations.
• Time of Your Life Series celebrates people 55 and over who have found new interests and callings after leaving the workforce. March 15 session explores the topic the love of art with backstage, stage, and lighting professionals, and actors, at the Snell Auditorium of the Red Deer Public Library from 6 to 8 p.m. Call 403-346-2100 for more information.
• Red Deer River Naturalists board meeting will be conducted on March 15, 7 p.m. in the naturalists room at Kerry Wood Nature Centre. Phone 403-347-8200 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16
• Diabetes Expo and Trade Show will be offered on March 21 at the Capri Centre, Exhibition Hall. Doors open at 6 p.m. Register by March 16 by calling 403-346-4631.
mezz movie is offered on March 16 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Waskasoo/Kiwanis Meeting Room at Red Deer Public Library Downtown Branch. Teens are invited to see Alvin and the Chipmunks, and meet new people. Phone 403-755-1146.
• Daddy and Me for dads and children ages three and up is offered on March 16 from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. in the children’s department at Red Deer Public Library Downtown Branch. Phone 403-346-4688.
• Sylvan Lake Seniors Association presentation by the Office of the Public Guardian on Personal Directives will be held on March 16, 7 p.m. at the Sylvan Lake Seniors Centre. No admission and open to all.
• Perspectives: Canada in the World series presents Ezra Levant on March 16, 7:30 p.m. at Red Deer College Arts Centre, Main Stage. Levant is author of Ethical Oil: The Case for Canada’s Oil Sands and is hosted by RDC Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. Tickets are $36, and are available from the college bookstore, or at Ticketmaster, www.ticketmaster.ca, or at 403-340-44455.
• Personal And Social Transformation Action (PASTA) Players meet on Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. at The Hub. Persons aged 12 years and up invited. Free to join. No experience required. Phone 403-340-4869.
• Red Deer Legion Old Time Dance with Badlanders II is on March 16 at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $6, or $11.95 with buffet starting at 5 p.m. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Parkinson’s Society Red Deer education and support group meets the third Wednesday of the month at 1:30 p.m. at Davenport Church of Christ, 68 Donlevy Ave. Phone 403-346-4463.
• Golden Circle Ho-Downers are a fun band of seniors who entertain other seniors in nursing homes, lodges and by special request. Practices are held on Wednesdays starting at 2 p.m. Everyone welcome. For more information call Bea at 403-346-5802.
• Norwegian Laft Hus Society Museum fall and winter hours are Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Check out the unique log house with the sod roof in Heritage Park, which houses historic and cultural objects from Norwegian Canadians. Phone 403-347-2055.
• The Melting Pot Cultural Kitchen is an interactive live cooking show with guest chefs from different cultures offered at The Hub on March 16 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. The cost is $10 per person. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required. Call Debbie at 403-342-4550, ext. 236 or email the.melting.pot.@hotmail.com.
• Red Deer River Naturalists — Flower Focus meets on March 16 at Kerry Wood Nature Centre from 10 a.m. to noon to discuss and learn about edible and useful local native plants. Please phone Eileen at 403-886-4905 by March 14 to confirm attendance.
• Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School Fashion Show fundraiser for Grad 2011 will be celebrated on March 16, 7 p.m. in Gym 11. Contact Lisa at 403-347-1171, ext. 1808, or email email@example.com.
THURSDAY, MARCH 17
• Red Deer Legion presents St. Patty’s Day in the Bob Short Club Room starting at 6:30 p.m. on March 17. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Red Deer Aboriginal Employments Services provides services to aboriginals including resumes, cover letters, research, and job postings. For more, call 403-358-7734 or drop in to #202, 4909 48 Street, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed noon to 1 p.m.
• Philosopher’s Café will discuss the topic of forgiveness on March 17 starting at 7 p.m. in the Red Deer College Library. Free admission and refreshments. See www.rdc.ab.ca/library, or phone 403-342-3152.
• Reception for Variations, the year end exhibition by the Red Deer College Visual Art students will be held at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery on March 17, 7 p.m. For more information call 403-309-8405 or visit reddeermuseum.com The exhibit runs until April 10.
• Red Deer and District Garden Club meets on March 17 at Kerry Wood Nature Centre at 6:30 p.m. for a St. Patrick’s Day theme potluck supper. Please bring cutlery, plate and hot food item to share. For more, call Noreen at 403-346-7728, or 403-357-4071.
• Red Deer Art Club meets on Thursdays at 1 to 4 p.m. at the Golden Circle. Bring your paints and join other artists. A drop-in fee of $1 applies. Contact Sharon at 403-340-3532, or Gordon at 403-597-0823.
• Central Alberta Prostate Awareness and Support Group meets the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at Gaetz Memorial United Church in the parlour. The next meeting is March 17. Men and spouses are welcome. Phone 403-350-5511.
• Golden Circle Senior Resource Centre dance, Thursday, March 17, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. at the seniors’ centre. Admission is $7. Phone 403-347-6165, 403-886-2740 or 403-309-3342.
FRIDAY, MARCH 18
• Red Deer Legion presents the Dew Carver band on March 18 and 19 from 8 p.m. to midnight for their weekend dance. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Kerry Wood Nature Centre Summer Day Camps registration begins on March. 18. Both French and English programs are available. Call 403-346-2010.
• Widowed Support Network meeting will be held on the third Friday of each month from 7 to 9 p.m. at New Life Fellowship Church. This group provides a safe place for men and women who have lost their spouse through death to interact with and support each other. The next meeting will be on March 18. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mahihkan Friendship Circle St. Patrick’s celebration of Irish and First Nations culture, food, stories and music will be held at Bethany CollegeSide on March 18 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Folks in wheelchairs or using mobility assists are especially invited to join the circle. Phone 403-340-0020.
• Drop-in Babytimes is offered Fridays from 2 to 2:30 p.m., or Thursdays from 11 to 11:30 a.m. at Red Deer Public Library Downtown Branch Children’s Department for children from birth to 24 months of age along with their caregivers. Phone 403-346-4688.
SATURDAY, MARCH 19
• MAGnificent Saturdays offer free art making with a professional artist from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery in downtown Red Deer. The March 19 session is called Artistic Imitations. All materials supplied. Families welcome. Phone 403-309-8405. Free with admission.
SUNDAY, MARCH 20
• Birdhouses with Bob will be offered at the Kerry Wood Nature Centre on March 20, 2 p.m. Children ages six to 13 can build a birdhouse to take home. Cost is $7 per child for members or $8 for non-members. Register by calling 403-346-2010.
• International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination will be celebrated on March 20 at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery, 2 p.m. The MAG partners up with Central Alberta Refugee Effort for a panel discussion and update on the issues.
• International Potluck Supper, to commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, will be held on March 20 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the HUB on Ross. Bring a “diversity dish” from yours or any other culture. Call 403-350-5156.