The province has set aside $736 million over the next three years for road and bridge projects.
This summer, residents will see work continue on the $120 million multi-year project to twin Highway 11 from Sylvan Lake to Rocky Mountain House. The next section, from Range Road 15 to Benalto, has gone out to tender and construction is expected to start on the 10-kilometre stretch this year.
Another major project at Sylvan Lake will see a roundabout built at Highway 20 and Memorial Trail. That project is in the design and land acquisition phase.
Construction is also expected to begin this year on a roundabout at Highways 42 and 2A at the north end of Penhold. Alberta Transportation and Corridors engineers recently tweaked the design after rural residents raised concerns the roundabout would be too tight for farm equipment.
A roundabout at Highways 12 and 20 west of Bentley will also be completed this year.
New paving will also be laid on Highway 2A between Blackfalds and Lacombe and signals installed at the interchange ramps at Highways 2 and 597 west of Blackfalds.
A small section of Highway 2 from 32nd Street and Highway 11A will also get new pavement, as well as the southbound lanes of Highway 2 from Highway 27, east of Olds, to five kilometres south of Highway 587 at Bowden.
More than a dozen other projects are in the engineering and design phase and do not have construction start dates yet.
Among them will be increasing Highway 2 to six lanes from four between Highways 11 and 11A and between Highway 590 and Mackenzie Road just south of the city. A section of Highway 2 between Highway 11 and 32nd Street will be increased to eight lanes from six.
Other projects planned include:
• Old Pole Road flyover (Hwy 2 and Twp Rd 362)
• Hwy 791 grade base and pave between Hwy 590 and Hwy 42
• Hwy 42 and Twp Rd 370A roundabout (Junction 42 truck stop)
• Junction 42 parking expansion
• Hwy 2 ramp and Leva Avenue Roundabout expansion
• Hwy 2A overlay between Olds and Hwy 587
• Hwy 2A overlay between Hwy 42/592 and Lantern Street
• Hwy 42 overlay from one km east of Penhold to one km west of Hwy 791
• Hwy 590 overlay between Hwy 21 and Big Valley
• Hwy 590 between east of Innisfail to Hwy 816
•Hwy 12 overlay from one km east of Hwy 815 to Hwy 50
For more information go to www.alberta.ca/provincial-construction-program