Rimbey family is homeless after fire rips through home

The home was insured and the only injury was a minor burn to the woman’s arm.

A Rimbey couple lost their home to fire on Friday.

Volunteer firefighters responded to the fire call at a farm about 20 km north of Rimbey shortly after 5 p.m.

Ponoka County West District Fire Chief John Weisgerber said the fire was well underway when crews arrived.

“The house was fully engulfed,” said Weisgerber, who said 11 volunteer firefighters from Rimbey were backed up with a water tanker from Ponoka County’s East District. “It was just a matter of surround and drown.”

Firefighters were able to step the flames from spreading to shops and garages on the farm property, which was the home of a retired couple.

It was about 2 a.m. before fire crews had put out all of the hot spots.

The home was insured and the only injury was a minor burn to the woman’s arm.

It is believed the fire was caused by untended cooking. The couple had left the home in a rush after a neighbour reported livestock had gotten out. When they returned the house was burning.