File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur made a brief appearance in a Toronto court Wednesday where his case was put over for another two weeks. McArthur, of Toronto, is shown in this image posted to his social media page.

Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur makes court appearance, has case put over

TORONTO — Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur made a brief appearance in a Toronto court Wednesday where his case was put over for another two weeks.

McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, is accused of murdering six men who had disappeared from or had ties to Toronto’s gay village.

Prosecutor Michael Cantlon told the court that the Crown had turned initial evidence over to McArthur’s defence, and would have more evidence to give them by the next court date, scheduled for March 14.

Most of the proceedings, which were under a court-ordered publication ban, dealt with technicalities related to McArthur’s latest murder charge, laid last week, and transportation problems that prevented authorities from bringing him to court to hear that charge in person.

McArthur appeared by video link from a Toronto detention centre Wednesday wearing an orange jumpsuit, his white goatee grown long, with wisps of hair covering his jaw.

He spoke only to say his name at the beginning of the appearance and to thank the court at the end.

A longtime friend of Andrew Kinsman — one of six people whose dismembered remains police found in large planters at a home where McArthur did gardening work and rented storage space — said he felt angry seeing McArthur on the courtroom video screen.

“He looks tired, I’m happy about that, but I can’t be vengeful, I just can’t,” Ted Healey said. ”Anger, that’s all I have.”

Healey said he wanted an explanation for Kinsman’s death.

“I really want to know what happened,” he said. “The (court) process is slow and it’s agonizing seeing this drawn out. I really want it to end.”

Police have identified three sets of remains from McArthur’s clients’ house so far: Kinsman, 49, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40.

McArthur is charged with first-degree murder in connection with their deaths, and the presumed deaths of Selim Esen, 44, Majeed Kayhan, 58, and Dean Lisowick, either 43 or 44.

Peter Goffin, The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version carried an incorrect spelling of Ted Healey’s last name and, based on what he told reporters, said he was the last person to see Kinsman alive.

Just Posted

Break-in at Red Deer business

Social media reports confirm a business break and enter in Red Deer… Continue reading

‘Rough waters’: Spill raises new questions about fast-growing N.L. oil industry

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Newfoundland and Labrador’s ambitious plans to dramatically expand… Continue reading

Trudeau rules out snap election call, national ballot slated for Oct. 21

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there will be no early… Continue reading

Canadian firm says it has found largest diamond ever unearthed in North America

YELLOWKNIFE — A Canadian mining firm says it has unearthed the largest… Continue reading

Man from Olds killed in collision near Sundre

A 39-year-old man from Olds was killed in a collision near Sundre… Continue reading

WATCH: More than 100 protest UN migration pact, carbon tax in Red Deer

Chants of “Trudeau must go” echoed through the streets of downtown Red… Continue reading

Man who demolished landmark house ordered to build replica

SAN FRANCISCO — A man who illegally demolished a San Francisco house… Continue reading

Giuliani: ‘Over my dead body’ will Mueller interview Trump

WASHINGTON — With a number of probes moving closer to the Oval… Continue reading

Quebecers criticize western oil but buying more gasoline, SUVs, bigger homes: report

MONTREAL — Quebec’s premier is quick to reject “dirty” oil from Western… Continue reading

Speaker Geoff Regan opens the door to his apartment in Parliament

OTTAWA — One of the best-kept secrets inside the main building on… Continue reading

Baloo the cat is back at home after being mistakenly shipped to Montreal

HALIFAX — Much to the relief of his loving family, Baloo the… Continue reading

‘It’s what we do’: Famous Newfoundlanders help replace veteran’s stolen guitar

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two famous Newfoundlanders stepped in to help an… Continue reading

Quebec’s anti-corruption unit blames media coverage for recruiting troubles

MONTREAL — Seven years after it was created, Quebec’s anti-corruption unit is… Continue reading

Former PQ cabinet minister poised to become next Bloc Quebecois leader

MONTREAL — It appears likely that Yves-Francois Blanchet, a former Parti Quebecois… Continue reading

Most Read