Accused Winnipeg bomber entangled in divorce that includes accusations of theft

Court documents show a man accused of sending letter bombs to Winnipeg lawyers and his ex-wife has been in a decade-long battle with his former spouse that includes accusations of theft,

WINNIPEG — Court documents show a man accused of sending letter bombs to Winnipeg lawyers and his ex-wife has been in a decade-long battle with his former spouse that includes accusations of theft, impersonation and a wedding ring being flushed down a toilet.

Police allege Guido Amsel, 49, became so enraged over perceived mistreatment at the hands of his former wife and lawyers who had been involved in the dispute, he sent explosive devices to their offices though Canada Post.

According to a sworn statement from police, an explosive compound was hidden in “a small grey voice recorder”.

A lawyer was seriously injured when one of the bombs blew up at a firm on Friday. Police detonated two more devices over the weekend and warned justice officials that more could be found in the next day or so.

The situation has unnerved many city residents and prompted dozens of reports of suspicious packages. City hall and a nearby Canada Post office were briefly evacuated Monday.

Court documents show Guido Amsel and his wife, Iris Amsel, separated in 2004. They have a son, who was nine at the time.

Documents from the divorce proceedings show no unusual acrimony at first. Amsel and his wife owned a numbered company involved in automotive repair. The couple initially split shares in the company — Amsel later bought out his ex-wife — and Amsel was ordered to pay $500 a month in child support.

The divorce became bitter in 2010. Guido Amsel accused his ex-wife of siphoning more than $3 million from the company into hidden bank accounts prior to the divorce being finalized.

“It is my belief at the present time that during our cohabitation, the respondent secreted money to these accounts,” reads an affidavit from Guido Amsel dated July 9, 2010.

“I am fearful that the respondent will transfer funds from these and any other accounts she may have to Germany and thereafter relocate there with the intention of keeping our son there as well.”

Guido Amsel also accused his ex-wife in the affidavit of flushing his wedding ring down a toilet and trying to break up his second marriage by calling and pretending to be a boyfriend of the new wife.

Iris Amsel has denied all the accusations.

Iris Amsel’s lawyer was Maria Mitousis, who suffered severe injuries when the first letter bomb went off last Friday.

The 38-year-old was taken to hospital in critical condition, but has since been upgraded to stable. A source in the legal community said Mitousis had surgery and lost one of her hands.

Guido Amsel’s son, Kyle, wrote in a 2013 affidavit that he did not have a good relationship with his father, in part because “he has been threatening towards me when I do not agree with him that my mother stole several million dollars from their company.”

By August 2013, Guido Amsel was expressing doubt that Kyle was his biological son. He wrote a letter to Mitousis demanding a paternity test. The court agreed to order one on the condition Amsel pay for it. There is no record of a result on the court file.

At the same time, Guido Amsel had his wages garnished on at least one occasion and she launched a lawsuit in 2010 against him and others in connection with the numbered company she once shared with him. That matter is due to return to court in December.

One of the bombs detonated by police was found at another law firm involved with the case and the second was at a small automotive business north of downtown with ties to Iris Amsel.

Guido Amsel was being held in custody on charges including attempted murder pending a court date Tuesday. Police said they were continuing to search a business and a residence linked to the suspect.

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman said police likely saved lives with their work over the weekend tracking down a suspect and taking precautions with any suspicious packages.

“The events that started on Friday are harrowing. Across our community I think it is safe to say we are reeling as Winnipeg our home has always seemed impervious to such ruthless, vengeful attacks,” Bowman said Monday.

Just Posted

Red Deer mall repurposes former Sears location

The Great Indoors Market at Bower officially launches Nov. 10

Red Deer-area businesses prepare for economic boost from Canadian Finals Rodeo

Hotels, restaurants, gift shops get ready for rodeo fans

Sylvan Lake considering banning charcoal barbecues in lakefront parks

Town council wants more information on concerns about charcoal barbecues and over-sized tents

Winter Games relocates its Volunteer Centre

Now open at Bower Place in Red Deer

Drouin scores deciding goal as Canadiens hold off Flames in 3-2 win

MONTREAL — Jeff Petry and Jonathan Drouin each scored and added an… Continue reading

Coalition of consumer groups calls for new code of conduct for telecom sales

A new government-backed code of conduct is needed to protect consumers from… Continue reading

Canadian National Railway rakes in record revenues amid concerns over capacity

MONTREAL — Canadian National Railway Co. says it raked in the highest… Continue reading

Alberta Party candidates set for Red Deer

The Alberta Party will have candidates running in both Red Deer-South and… Continue reading

Montreal Alouettes defensive lineman Woody Baron co-authors children’s book

TORONTO — Woody Baron finds the spectre of tangling with a hulking… Continue reading

Sundin not surprised Leafs asking stars to take less money to stay together

TORONTO — Mats Sundin isn’t surprised the Toronto Maple Leafs are asking… Continue reading

Anywhere but Washington: Why DC stories rarely film in DC

WASHINGTON — It’s a hobby among District of Columbia locals: Picking apart… Continue reading

‘Halloween’ scares up $77.5 million in ticket sales

LOS ANGELES — Forty years after he first appeared in theatres, Michael… Continue reading

Most Read