The public is being warned not to swim or wade at Grandview Beach at Pigeon Lake.
Alberta Health Services issued a press release on Tuesday that said a contaminated water advisory has been issued for the beach. Elevated levels of fecal coliforms have been found in the water.
The public is also advised not to drink this contaminated water, as water-borne organisms, including fecal coliforms, can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
At current levels, skin, ear and eye infections can result from any contact with the water.
The contamination was detected through routine testing of the lake water at the beach.
AHS says public health officers will continue to monitor the water at Grandview Beach and the advisory remains in effect until further notice.
A blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) bloom advisory also remains in effect for Pigeon Lake.