Alberta boy exposed to bedbug pesticide improving: family friend

A child in hospital after being exposed to a pesticide his parents used to kill bedbugs has been taken off a ventilator and moved to a recovery room.

EDMONTON — A child in hospital after being exposed to a pesticide his parents used to kill bedbugs has been taken off a ventilator and moved to a recovery room.

Family spokesman Taj Mohammed says the boy, Zain Hasan, is expected to be discharged from an Edmonton hospital later this month.

Funerals for Zain’s two-year-old brother, Zia, and eight-month-old sister, Zara, were held last week.

Mohammed is the principal of Fort McMurray Islamic School, where Zain attends kindergarten.

The family had recently brought a type of aluminum phosphide back from a trip to Pakistan to kill bedbugs.

Health Canada issued a warning Friday about what it calls the “extreme danger” of using unregistered pesticides to fight the pests.