Skip to content

Alberta Government commits to critical infrastructure upgrades in Stettler and area

The Government of Alberta announced Tuesday $18 million in grants for critically needed water, culvert and bridge and infrastructure upgrades in Stettler and the surrounding area.
At an announcement at the Stettler Airport Tuesday, the Government of Alberta announced $18 million in critical infastructure upgrades for Stettler and the surrounding area. (Photo by Carson Ellis/Black Press Media)

The Government of Alberta announced Tuesday $18 million in grants for critically needed water, culvert and bridge and infrastructure upgrades in Stettler and the surrounding area.

At an announcement at the Stettler Airport, government officials said the funds will help make a difference for several communities.

“Rural communities need effective municipal infrastructure to support economic growth,” said Devin Dreeshen, Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors.

“These investments will help ensure safe roads and bridges, as well as reliable access to clean drinking water and effective wastewater services for residents from Drummheller to Stettler.”

According to a release, Budget 2023 provides funding for three grant projects under the Alberta Municipal Water/Wastewater Partnership, as well as three projects that fall under the Strategic Transportation Infrastructure Program.

The wastewater projects are $2.97 million for a new reservoir and pump house for the Village of Donalda, $1.50 million for an expansion for the wastewater lagoon in the Town of Oyen and $1.186 million for a new water tower for the Village of Empress.

The infrastructure projects include $1.48 million for an Airport runway and taxiway rehabilitation for the Town of Stettler, $498,750 for two bridge replacement projects in the County of Stettler and $198,375 for a culvert replacement in Starland County).

The funding for the Stettler Airport will be used to cover 75 per cent of a runway rehabilitation, with the remaining 25 per cent balance to be shared between the Town of Stettler and County of Stettler No.6.

The rehabilitation project will include partial base reconstruction of all traverse cracking, with milling of existing asphalt surface, new asphalt surface installation and line painting, for a total project cost of $1,975,930. Construction is expected to commence in Summer 2024.

“The Stettler Airport is vital to our community, serving our commerce, agricultural and emergency health services needs. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with community partners to revitalize this facility and safeguard the future of aviation in our region,” said Stettler Mayor Sean Nolls.

“We would also like to extend our thanks to our partners, County of Stettler No. 6 and the Stettler Flying Club. The Airport would not function without their contribution of maintenance and airport operation governance.”

Meanwhile, the largest portion of funds announced Tuesday will go towards the Shirley McLellen Regional Water Services Commission. Funding for this grant comes from the province’s Water For Life program, which shares the cost of new or existing water treatment facilities that service two or more municipalities. The $10 million is part of the doubling of water and wastewater funding that was made in the recent provincial budget.

“There is nothing more important than clean, potable water to support sustainable, healthy communities, while bridge and airport funding maintain important infrastructure for keeping us all connected,” said Larry Clarke, Reeve, County of Stettler No. 6.

“Investments in rural infrastructure projects creates important jobs and contributes to our local economies. We are very excited for our region and the many benefits we will realize from all of these important projects.”

Black Press Media Staff

About the Author: Black Press Media Staff

Read more