City of Red Deer is calling on Canadian artists to join a competition for art for G.H. Dawe Community Centre.
The competition is open to artists or artist group and the invitation is out for the first stage of a two-stage competition for public artworks to be installed in the new expansion wing of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre in fall 2022.
The facility expansion includes modernization (replacement) of the existing arena to NHL standards with the addition of a second ice surface resulting in an accessible new twin arena facility. The new development will also include the addition of a north entrance to the building, an expansion of fitness and programming spaces (including an indoor running track) and an outdoor spray park and washroom facility on the northeast quadrant of the property.
Some core design values will be emphasized through the architectural design, and it is important for artists to illustrate and illuminate these concepts through their artworks, including:
• Visually striking and community oriented
• Natural light in common areas makes the building a cold winter respite
• Multipurpose and flexible with interior and exterior spaces for people to gather and socialize
• A welcoming and inviting place for all to enjoy
• A place for people, community and wellness
Applications from artists who self-identify as a member of one or more First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit communities will be prioritized for one or more pieces of the facility’s public art collection. These specific pieces should be created in a manner that is culturally appropriate to the peoples of this region.
Shortlisted artists will receive a stipend of $750 to submit a proposal and give a 15-minute virtual presentation to the Public Art Commission on Nov. 10.
• Professional experience, CV, biography
• Portfolio of past projects relevant to this project
• Letter of interest outlining possible approach to this project
• Artist statement and philosophy towards public art
Submission deadline for online applications is Sept. 30 by 4 p.m.
For more information and to apply go to https://reddeer.bidsandtenders.ca.