Summer is a great time to be out of the house and on the road.
However, more vehicles on the road and behaviour that arises due to the heat can lead to an increased risk of vehicle property crimes.
August is the busiest month for all Criminal Code-related offences, says the RCMP.
From June 1 to Aug. 30, 2018, there were more than 3,200 vehicle thefts and more than 3,600 reports of thefts from vehicles.
Police say simple changes to Albertans’ daily routines that can significantly reduce the risk of property crime involving vehicles.
With that in mind, the RCMP offers these crime prevention tips:
· Always remove the keys and lock your vehicle.
· Remove all valuables from your vehicle.
· Use a steering wheel lock to help reduce the risk of vehicle theft.
· Do not leave your windows open when you leave your vehicle.
· Park your vehicle in sight and in a well-lit area.
· Consider purchasing a vehicle tracking system.
· Lock your garage.
· Disable power to the garage door if you’re leaving for an extended period of time.