August is a prime month for vehicle theft and Alberta RCMP is urging residents to take steps to avoid becoming a victim.
Last year, more than 1,000 vehicles were stolen in August and belongings were taken from vehicles another 1,300 times — the highest monthly numbers posted in 2019.
One in four vehicles stolen had the keys left inside and eight per cent were left running, according to Alberta RCMP statistics.
In total, almost 10,000 vehicles were stolen and there were more than 12,200 reported thefts from a motor vehicle in Alberta in 2019.
The most common target for thieves were pickup trucks.
RCMP urge vehicle owners to take steps to avoid being victimized.
• Lock the doors.
• Remove valuables including purses, shopping bags, change, electronics and sunglasses.
• Remove the garage door opener.
• Park your vehicle in sight or in a well-lit area.
• Use a steering wheel lock.
• Lock your garage.
• Disable power to the garage door if you’re leaving for an extended period of time.