(Image contributed)

(Image contributed)

Backyard chicken coop catches fire in central Alberta

Olds firefighters respond

Two chickens died after fire broke out at a residential chicken coop in Olds early Saturday morning.

Olds Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched at 2:38 a.m. to a structure fire at residence on Balsam Crescent.

Smoke and flames were visible when they arrived, and the fire was determined to have originated at a backyard chicken coop attached to the deck of the residential property.

The department said the fire was reported by a neighbour who was preparing for out-of-town travel when he smelled smoke and investigated. The fire could have spread to the home where people were sleeping if the neighbour had not investigated.

A total of 14 firefighters were on scene for about one hour, and the fire was quickly knocked down.

There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters, but two chickens died.

Damage was limited to the chicken coop and deck. The home’s occupants were able to return within the hour. Alternative housing was found for the chickens that were displaced.

The cause of this fire was considered accidental and no damage estimates were available.



News tips

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

centralalberta