Photo by ASHLI BARRETT/Advocate Staff

Blast, flames damage home

Damage is now being assessed at a Red Deer house that exploded and then burst into flames early Saturday morning.

Damage is now being assessed at a Red Deer house that exploded and then burst into flames early Saturday morning.

Fire crews were called at 7:12 a.m. by a young adult who had been awakened by the smell of gas inside the family home at 530 Wishart Street, said assistant platoon chief Gary Engebretson.

Two young adults, believed to be the children of the homeowners, had called 911 and then fled the building and were standing outside when the gas ignited. It blew out three walls, knocking the house off its foundation and setting off a major fire.

Engebretson pointed to an inlet on the north wall of the house, connected to the gas meter, as the most likely source of the leak.

Garage contents, including an SUV, were not badly damaged, excluding smoke damage and a hole fire crews cut through one of the doors.

“The inside of the house was burned pretty good,” said Engebretson.

The parents were out of town, he said.

Next-door neighbour Sheldon Ross said he was still in bed and sound asleep when the noise and shock abruptly awoke him and his hound, Wally.

“I could see the kids out on the sidewalk. They said everybody got out. All I could see was a little fire from here, I didn’t see too much,” said Ross, adding that the action definitely frightened his dog.

He and other neighbours were asked to leave their homes while firefighters tackled the blaze. Ross said he watched for awhile, and then went for a drive. He and Wally were back in their house by 11 a.m. and winding down as other neighbours walked by to view the damage.

Fire Chief Jack McDonald said the building does not appear salvageable because, while the outside walls remain standing, there is heavy damage inside and it had parted from its foundations at a number of locations.

Investigators from ATCO Gas were expected to be at the site Monday to pinpoint the leak.

Any number of sources could have set off the gas as it filled the house, including pilot lights or glow plugs in the furnace and water heater, said MacDonald.

While gas leaks can occur, explosions are rare, he said.

Deer Park residents witnessed a dramatic example in January of 1992, when a house exploded while a couple and their teenaged daughter slept inside. The girl was propelled into the street and her parents were slammed into the ceiling of their bedroom. All three escaped injury, while their neighbour’s homes were scorched from the blaze that followed.

The two people sleeping in the Wishart Street home on Saturday were fortunate to have detected the smell of gas and left the house before it blew up, said MacDonald.

Emergency crews they had called to check the leak were already on their way when the gas ignited, said Engebretson.

bkossowan@bprda.wpengine.com

Just Posted

Central Albertans recall Hawaii’s false missile alert

Former Red Deer councillor Paul Harris was hanging out at the Ka’anapali… Continue reading

Human waste ‘backlog’ from Red Deer to be spread on farmers’ fields this spring

Council approved $1 million to compensate for loss of crops

Red Deer city council tries to find more cost-savings

Many spending proposals are queried, discussed

Advocate poll takers oppose plastic bag ban

Red Deer Advocate readers like their plastic bags. In an Advocate poll,… Continue reading

Red Deer man sentenced for child porn

Man sentenced to one year in prison after being arrested in major anti-child pornography operation

Replay Red Deer Jan. 14: Watch news highlights in pictures

Stories mentioned: Red Deer RCMP seize large quantity of cocaine: Read more… Continue reading

Advocate poll takers oppose plastic bag ban

Red Deer Advocate readers like their plastic bags. In an Advocate poll,… Continue reading

Photo: Chilly work in Veterans’ Park

What a chilly job but somebody has to do it.… Continue reading

Boy, 15, one of three hit in Vancouver shooting

Police believe a man in his 20s was the target of the shooting

UBCO psychology professor placed under supervision with focus on “boundary issues”

Dr. Stephen Porter has stepped aside from his teaching duties

Alberta elementary school teacher arrested on child porn charges

Investigators charged a 44-year-old Pincher Creek man with possessing, accessing, and distributing child pornography

Report: Health problems could arise as Alaska warms

Climate change in Alaska has the potential to create serious physical and… Continue reading

U.S. cold snap was a freak of nature, quick analysis finds

Consider this cold comfort: A quick study of the brutal American cold… Continue reading

Canadian Kennel Club seeking to add 12 more dogs to its pack

2018’s incoming class could include the Portuguese sheepdog, Tibetan mastiff, rat terrier and Spanish water dog

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month