Canadian man detained in UAE pleads not guilty to three terror-related charges

A Canadian man detained for more than a year in the United Arab Emirates has pleaded not guilty to three terror-related charges on the first day of his long-awaited trial.

A Canadian man detained for more than a year in the United Arab Emirates has pleaded not guilty to three terror-related charges on the first day of his long-awaited trial.

Salim Alaradi’s lawyer says his client learned Monday he was charged with funding terrorist organizations, supporting terrorist organizations, and co-operating with terrorist organizations.

Paul Champ says two specific groups — the February 17 Brigades and the Libyan Dawn — were named.

Alaradi’s family and lawyers had previously received no explanation from U.A.E. authorities for his continued detention and there have been allegations he has been tortured behind bars.

Champ says neither he nor Alaradi’s nephew were allowed to attend Monday’s hearing at the State Security Chamber of the U.A.E. Federal Supreme Court.

But the Champ says Canada’s ambassador was able to observe, as were two U.S. diplomats, since Alaradi is being tried with two Americans.

The case has been adjourned to Feb. 15, Champ said in an email.

“Despite our serious concerns with the fairness of this trial, and obviously the allegations of torture, we remain optimistic that Mr. Alaradi will be acquitted of all charges and allowed to leave the country,” he told The Canadian Press.

Few details about the case were provided but “the family finds the allegations very hard to understand as Mr. Alaradi has not lived in Libya in over 25 years and is not politically involved in his former country,” he said.

“As well, these groups no longer exist and in any event were internationally recognized as allies against Gadhafi and were never viewed as terrorist organizations by the (United Nations) or any country.”

Alaradi’s family is grateful that the Canadian ambassador personally attended the hearing, Champ said.

“I think it sent a very strong message to UAE authorities that Canada takes torture very seriously,” he said.

Alaradi, a 46-year-old Canadian of Libyan origin, was running a business in Dubai when he was abruptly arrested in August 2014.

He was born in Libya and immigrated to Canada from the U.A.E. in 1998, settling down in Vancouver with his family. He decided to return to the U.A.E. in 2007 to run a home appliance business with his brother.

He and his family were on vacation when he was arrested.

Just Posted

Alberta Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said Alberta’s declining COVID-19 numbers are a positive sign for the province. (photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Red Deer down to 634 active COVID-19 cases

Central zone down to 2,054 active cases

Brandon Wheat Kings defenceman Rylan Thiessen (26) guards the front of the net as goalie Connor Unger makes a save on Winnipeg Ice forward Skyler Bruce during a Western Hockey League game on April 14 at the Brandt Centre in Regina. Brandon won 5-3. (Keith Hershmiller Photography)
Two big trades provide stability for Red Deer Rebels

All Connor Ungar wanted was an opportunity and he’s finally found it.… Continue reading

(Screenshot).
Seven central Alberta charities benefit from community foundation grants

Seven central Alberta charities have received grants from the Red Deer and… Continue reading

Red Deer Gun Show organizer, Harold Drok, is concerned $1 fee from each ticket sale will go to Westerner Park once shows can be restarted there. This new policy replaces parking fees which will be waived for future Westerner Park events. (Black Press file photo)
Event organizer concerned about Westerner Park’s new parking fee model

A show organizer is concerned this could impact proceeds

A rodeo south of Bowden drew a huge crowd on May 1 and 2, 2021. (Photo courtesy Mom’s Diner’s Facebook page)
Organizers of central Alberta anti-lockdown rodeo plead not guilty

Ty and Gail Northcott charged under the Public Health Act

Red Deer musician Curtis Phagoo is glad the Alberta government is investing $2 million to help the province’s live music industry, but he would have liked the criteria to be expanded, so the money could be used as relief to cover revenue shortfalls. (Contributed photo by Cory Michaud)
Red Deer musicians welcome $2M in grants to help live music, but would have preferred relief program

The money is for future projects and can’t be used for retroactive expenses

An excavator works in the background as police establish a checkpoint on McClure Main in the Caycuse area on B.C.'s Vancouver Island, Monday, May 17, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jen Osborne
Police arrest five protesters for refusing to leave anti-logging blockades in B.C.

Police arrest five protesters for refusing to leave anti-logging blockades in B.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Ceasefire needed in Israeli-Palestinian conflict to avoid loss of more civilians: PM

Ceasefire needed in Israeli-Palestinian conflict to avoid loss of more civilians: PM

Canadian Academy and other organizations champion Cancon through various campaigns

Canadian Academy and other organizations champion Cancon through various campaigns

FILE - Actor/comedian Charles Grodin, appears at a news conference announcing him as host of CNBC's new primetime show "Charles Grodin" in New York on Nov. 15, 1994. Grodin, the offbeat actor and writer who scored as a newlywed cad in “The Heartbreak Kid” and the father in the “Beethoven” comedies, died Tuesday at his home in Wilton, Conn. from bone marrow cancer. He was 86. (AP Photo/Marty Lederhandler, File)
Charles Grodin, ‘Midnight Run,’ ‘Heartbreak Kid,’ star, dies

Charles Grodin, ‘Midnight Run,’ ‘Heartbreak Kid,’ star, dies

Sarah Polley, Jayne Eastwood among winners on night 2 of Canadian Screen Awards

Sarah Polley, Jayne Eastwood among winners on night 2 of Canadian Screen Awards

This image shows an assortment of gift options for dinner hosts, from left, Clark and Hopkins hot sauces, a Finamill spice grinder, sculptural candles from Greentree Home Candles, a Mosser Cake Stand topped with folded linen runners and a loaf of bread from Zingerman's, and a variety of Frank Lloyd Wright candles from the Art Institute of Chicago. (Cheyenne Cohen via AP)
Gathering again? Gifts to wow and thank your host

Gathering again? Gifts to wow and thank your host

FILE - This microscope image made available by the National Cancer Institute Center for Cancer Research in 2015 shows human colon cancer cells with the nuclei stained red. Americans should start getting screened for colon cancer earlier, at age 45 instead of waiting until they're 50, according to new guidelines from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, released on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. (NCI Center for Cancer Research via AP, File)
Americans urged to get colon cancer screening earlier

Americans urged to get colon cancer screening earlier

Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin appears before Judge Mark E. Windham who denied an emergency motion by the defense team seeking to postpone the trial today. during the murder trial of Robert Durst Monday, May 17, 2021, in Inglewood, Calif. The murder trial of the multimillionaire has resumed in Los Angeles County after a 14-month recess without the defendant present and with arguments about whether the case should continue at all. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via AP, Pool)
Prosecutor says Durst’s own words show his guilt in killings

Prosecutor says Durst’s own words show his guilt in killings

Most Read