Canadian military-college students report widespread sexual misconduct

Canadian military-college students report widespread sexual misconduct

OTTAWA — A new Statistics Canada report that paints a picture of widespread sexual misconduct at the country’s prestigious military colleges is prompting fresh criticism as well as promises of action more than six years after the Canadian Armed Forces first committed to rooting such behaviour from the ranks.

The report follows a survey of 512 officer cadets at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ont., and its French-language counterpart in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., in which 68 per cent of students said they had witnessed or personally experienced what was described as unwanted sexualized behaviour. That included sexual jokes or comments about a student’s appearance.

That was not far off the 71 per cent of students at other post-secondary institutions across Canada who reported witnessing or experiencing such behaviour. But the military ordered a crackdown on such activities across the Armed Forces after a series of media reports about sexual misconduct in the ranks was first published in 2014.

And 28 per cent of female respondents said they had been sexually assaulted during their time at the military colleges — nearly twice the rate among students at post-secondary institutions in the rest of the country.

Fifteen per cent of female officer cadets reported having been sexually assaulted in the past 12 months, compared to 11 per cent in the general population.

Sexual touching was the most common form of assault experienced by both women and men at the Canadian military colleges, according to the report, while “11 per cent of women CMC students indicated that they experienced sexual attacks — the most serious form of sexual assault.

Marie-Claude Gagnon, a former naval reservist who founded a group for survivors of military sexual trauma called It’s Just 700, said the findings raise serious questions and concerns about the environment at the two colleges. Gagnon suggested the Canadian Armed Forces has yet to truly acknowledge there is a unique problem at the institutions.

“The stats keep proving that there’s actually a higher prevalence in service and now in military colleges than happens in civil society,” Gagnon said. “But in order for that to be looked into, they need to first acknowledge that there’s a difference. … That it’s not just people coming in with that baggage.”

Retired Supreme Court justice Marie Deschamps first flagged concerns about Canada’s military colleges in a damning report about sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces in March 2015. The report cited students describing sexual assault as a rite of passage and an ever-present threat at the institutions.

Yet a panel of former military officers reported to chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance in March 2017 that there was no evidence of widespread sexual misconduct at the Royal Military College in Kingston, a finding Vance appeared to accept given a lack of police reports and other indicators.

“I would know if there was a trend,” Vance told The Canadian Press at the time. “If there was a serious problem there, we would know.”

Following the release of the Statistics Canada report on Thursday, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said he was “deeply concerned” about the findings before promising, without details, to take action to address the problem.

“Even one instance of sexual misconduct or discrimination is one too many,” he said in a statement. “That is completely unacceptable and has no place in our institutions or our country. We will take all action necessary to ensure that these educational institutions are safe and inclusive for everyone.”

The Canadian Armed Forces released its own unsigned statement saying sexual misconduct will not be tolerated in the military. It also said the Forces is looking at ways to address the problem at the colleges, though it added that the survey was conducted in 2018 and 2019 — before several new programs were introduced.

Those include new training for faculty to better recognize, prevent and respond to sexual misconduct as well as new curriculum for officer cadets developed by the Kingston college and the military’s sexual misconduct response centre in Ottawa. Two women’s support groups have also been created in Saint-Jean, the military said.

Gagnon said after six years of promises to tackle the problem, she would have expected better results from the military colleges. At the same time, she expressed concern that the issue has started to slip off the radar for the Armed Forces as fatigue and other issues such as COVID-19 preoccupy leaders, which she suggested spoke to a bigger problem.

“If there was buy-in, there wouldn’t be the need for external pressure to keep bringing this subject up,” she said. “People would believe it’s a problem that needs to be fixed and they would push that problem to be fixed. … I think this is a symptom of not having the buy-in from the people making the boots-on-the-ground decisions.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 8, 2020.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

sexual assault

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read