Candle caused Innisfail house fire that left family homeless

Fire unattended candle on second floor of home on Wednesday afternoon

A Wednesday afternoon fire in Innisfail that left a family homeless was started by an unattended scented candle, says the fire chief.

Innisfail Fire Department was called at about 4:20 p.m. to a home in the 29th Avenue and 43rd Street area of the town.

When firefighters arrived, flames and heavy smoke could be seen coming from the second storey.

Fire Chief Gary Leith said the blaze was discovered by a friend who lived in the home with a woman and two children, aged seven and 14.

“The mum and two girls were out of the house at the time. (The friend) went out to do some yard work and he noticed the smell. He returned to the property and that’s how the fire was discovered.”

The blaze did about $200,000 damage, said Leith. The family are staying with friends.

Firefighters remained on the scene until about 7 p.m.

“A search was conducted to ensure no one was still in the building, and salvage operations were then conducted to protect personal items on the main floor,” said a news release from the town.

The fire prompted a warning from the fire chief to ensure homes are fully equipped with fire detectors on all floors.

“There were no smoke detectors on the second floor, which would have given early warning of the fire,” he said.

Leith said they have been getting more fire calls during the pandemic.

“Within our community, we have noticed an increase (in residential fires) since the start of the COVID restrictions. More people are home, and are maybe a little careless.

“We would like to stress that more people have working smoke detectors in their homes and that they test them.”

Carbon monoxide detectors are also recommended. Locating them near furnaces to detect any gas possibly leaking from the heating system is recommended.

Depending on the layout of the home, other carbon monoxide detectors may also be a good idea, said Leith.

The Town of Innisfail and ATCO are partners in a program that provides free carbon monoxide detectors.



pcowley@reddeeradvocate.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Innisfail

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Survey: 43% of Red Deer area businesses do not plan to rehire once COVID crisis ends

Red Deer and District Chamber of commerce surveys local businesses

Federal aid for care home systems needed ahead of second wave, advocates say

OTTAWA — The federal government must do more to help provinces prepare… Continue reading

Man accused in 2019 Grandview homicide going to trial

Quentin Strawberry charged with second-degree murder

Woman reported missing in Red Deer

Red Deer RCMP seek public’s assistance

Solidarity together: Central Albertans protest in Red Deer against racism

There’s no such thing as a little bit of racism. Even one… Continue reading

Kenney’s party doesn’t need taxpayer handouts

The United Conservative Party said it would stick up for taxpayers, but… Continue reading

There’s no point arguing climate change is just a hoax

Re: “Global warming critics find themselves under attack,” Letter, May 26. Like… Continue reading

Michael Dawe: Hobo Jungle was once an oasis for those who couldn’t find work

There is a lot of well-founded concern about the enormous worldwide impact… Continue reading

Former Canadian university defenceman Kodie Curran signs with Anaheim Ducks

CALGARY — Kodie Curran took an unorthodox route to an NHL contract.… Continue reading

Creator fires ‘Law & Order’ spin-off writer for online posts

LOS ANGELES — A TV writer who has worked on “S.W.A.T.” and… Continue reading

Nunavut RCMP order probe after video shows suspect hit by police vehicle door

Nunavut RCMP order probe after video shows suspect hit by police vehicle door

Joint federal-provincial inquiry into N.S. mass shooting a good option: top expert

Joint federal-provincial inquiry into N.S. mass shooting a good option: top expert

As U.S. boils over, calls for Canadian justice ring out in House of Commons

As U.S. boils over, calls for Canadian justice ring out in House of Commons

Most Read