A house is seen in Venables Valley near Ashcroft, B.C. on Sunday, March 26, 2017. British Columbia’s coroners service says carbon monoxide gas is suspected to have killed four people in a home near Ashcroft.It says foul play has been ruled out in the deaths of two adults and two children who were found deceased in their home on Friday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Carbon monoxide suspected in four deaths in B.C.

Family of four in their home

ASHCROFT, B.C. — British Columbia’s coroners service suspects carbon monoxide killed a family of four in their home in the province’s Interior.

Toxicology tests were underway and the coroners service said it expects the results later this week. The agency did not identify the source of the carbon monoxide gas.

A woman who died alongside her two boys and spouse — whose names have not been released — was remembered Monday by Ashcroft Mayor Jack Jeyes as a soft-spoken, happy person.

Jeyes said he employed the woman as a housekeeper and that she lived with her family in the nearby community of Venables Valley.

“She worked really hard and she was very busy with her kids. She was trying to fit some work in along with taking care of kids and all those neat things that moms have to do,” he said.

“She was a very, very pleasant person, happy, with a very soft personality.”

Jeyes said there is no power in Venables Valley and that many residents use generators.

RCMP officers who were responding to a request for a check on the home found the four bodies inside on Friday.

Jeyes said he’d known the woman for over 2 1/2 years but had not seen her for about two months because the family had gone away on vacation.

“People are shocked, they’re saddened,” he said, adding residents of Venables Valley often shop in Ashcroft.

David Musterer, a member of the Venables Valley community, said on the weekend that the tragedy has deeply affected everyone in the area who is grieving for the family.

The coroners service said carbon monoxide gas is produced during the burning of any fossil fuel such as wood, gasoline, natural or propane gas.

It said the use of a carbon monoxide detector is a reliable method of early detection of the gas in a home but does not replace the need for regular and qualified servicing of all gas appliances and wood-burning stoves.

Anyone who suspects exposure to carbon monoxide, which is colourless and odourless, should immediately leave the residence and get medical help.

The Canadian Safety Council says on its website that carbon monoxide is North America’s leading cause of fatal poisonings.

It says someone who is exposed to the gas can quickly become confused and unable to realize their life is in danger, and that impaired vision and loss of hearing are also symptoms.

Shortness of breath, a slight headache, nausea and dizziness are symptoms of low exposure, while extreme exposure to carbon monoxide gas can lead to collapse and death because it blocks the absorption of oxygen into the bloodstream, the website says.

Just Posted

A million dollars for Red Deer hospital is not nearly enough, says Mayor Veer

Mayor is concerned Red Deer hospital is still not on province’s five-year capital list

Alix man arrested for fleeing police in allegedly stolen vehicle

An Alix man was arrested after fleeing police in an allegedly stolen… Continue reading

Red Deer hospital expansion advances to square one

Planning for future needs gets $1-million over two years

Divergent views on budget expressed by Red Deer school boards

Red Deer’s two school board chairs have opposite views on the provincial… Continue reading

WATCH: Hundreds come to Red Deer Rebels Fan Fest

The Red Deer Rebels met with legions of their of fans just… Continue reading

2 killed, dozen hurt in French supermarket hostage-taking

PARIS — An armed man took hostages in a supermarket in southern… Continue reading

READER PHOTO: Red Deer students celebrate Canadian courage at Juno Beach

Teenagers from Red Deer’s Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School are learning about… Continue reading

UN report: Loss of plants, animals making a lonelier planet

WASHINGTON — New United Nations scientific reports diagnose that Earth is getting… Continue reading

Excavator frees dolphins trapped by pack ice in Newfoundland harbour

HEARTS DELIGHT, N.L. — A pod of dolphins trapped by pack ice… Continue reading

Structure fire destroys home in Mirror

A house in Mirror is completely damaged due to an overnight structure… Continue reading

Trudeau warns senators not to thwart will of Canadians on marijuana bill

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is reminding senators that his government… Continue reading

Burgers outselling classic baguette sandwiches in France

PARIS — Forget the baguette. The French are going crazy for burgers.… Continue reading

Most Read

Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month