Jason Klaus (left) and Joshua Frank in a pickup truck before Frank spoke to an undercover RCMP officer he believed was an organized crime boss — Mr. Big — about the murders of Gordon, Sandra and Monica Klaus. (Photo contributed by RCMP)

Castor murderer says Mr. Big evidence should not have been allowed

Jason Klaus also argues in his notice of appeal his right to a speedy trial was violated

Triple-murderer Jason Klaus’s notice of appeal says the judge should not have allowed damning Mr. Big evidence.

“Justice Macklin erred in allowing the ‘Mr. Big’ evidence to be admitted in the trial,” wrote Klaus in his notice of appeal.

Klaus also contends a separate judge made a mistake by allowing the trial to go ahead at all.

“Justice Little erred in finding that my right to a speedy trial had not been violated,” Klaus printed in the reasons for appeal section of his notice.

He also added that his reasons include “such further grounds as my counsel may argue.”

In January, Klaus was convicted, along with accomplice Joshua Frank, of three counts of first-degree murder. Both men were sentenced earlier this month to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Justice Eric Macklin said he was convinced beyond any reasonable doubt the men plotted the murder of Klaus’s mother, father and sister and burned the family farmhouse down to destroy evidence in December 2013.

Confessions coaxed out of both men during a four-month RCMP Mr. Big sting operation in mid-2014 were central to the Crown prosecutors’ case.

Macklin addressed the Mr. Big evidence repeatedly in his written reasons for finding the men guilty.

Two confessions Klaus made to Mr. Big and another undercover police officer, and Frank’s single detailed confession to Mr. Big “met the test for threshold reliability and were admissable,” he says.

“It is important to note that no promises or inducements were made to Mr. Klaus to confess to Mr. Big his involvement in the murders.”

During their trial, both men testified that they were lying when they made their confessions to undercover police.

Mr. Big operations are carefully scrutinized by the courts in light of a 2014 Supreme Court of Canada ruling that sets the ground rules for admissibility. Assuming no police misconduct in the sting operation, the onus remains on Crown prosecutors to show confessions gathered are more reliable than prejudicial to the accused.

Interestingly, before the trial even got going last October defence lawyers for Klaus and Frank asked the judge for more time to prepare, arguing they found out only at the eleventh hour that Crown prosecutors planned to make Mr. Big evidence a key part of their case.

Macklin agreed to give defence lawyers two weeks to go through 100 hours of audio and video recordings gathered during the Mr. Big sting.

The other reason Klaus provides to back up his appeal related to an unsuccessful attempt last August by his lawyer Allan Fay to have the charges dropped on the grounds the case took too long to get to trial. Frank’s lawyers made the same argument.

Justice John Little denied the applications and the trial went ahead as planned.

The last-ditch effort to avoid trial hinged on a 2016 Supreme Court of Canada decision.

In it, the country’s highest court set a new benchmark of what is considered an unreasonable delay in court and that an accused rights to a timely trial were infringed.

Under the new framework, unreasonable delay was to be presumed if proceedings topped 18 months in provincial court or 30 months in superior court.



pcowley@reddeeradvocate.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Updated: Westlake home damaged in Tuesday afternoon fire

Woman and her cat escaped injury when fire hit home

Ponoka council to discuss labour contract

Town workers can serve 72-hour strike notice

Policy analyst to run for Alberta Liberals in Innisfail-Sylvan Lake byelection

Nick Jansen says health and education should be preserved

Sharing the road during motorcycle season

Being visible to other drivers is important

VIDEO: What separation from parents does to children: ‘The effect is catastrophic’

This is what happens inside children when they are forcibly separated from… Continue reading

Ten Humboldt Broncos bus crash survivors meet in Las Vegas for NHL awards

HUMBOLDT, Sask. — Ten of the 13 survivors from the Humboldt Broncos… Continue reading

Triathletes young and old prepare for weekend event in Red Deer

Woody’s Triathlon goes Saturday and Sunday

Driver knocks over metal barricade, rolls several times in crash near Olds

A man is in hospital after his SUV trashed into the QEII… Continue reading

In tit-for-tat, Trump threatens more tariffs against China

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has directed the U.S. Trade Representative to… Continue reading

Commons Speaker says no to Tory calls for emergency debate on Canada-U.S. trade

OTTAWA — The official Opposition is calling for an emergency debate in… Continue reading

Accused homeowner to testify in own defence in Hamilton murder trial

HAMILTON — A Hamilton-area homeowner accused of gunning down a suspected truck… Continue reading

Opioid death toll nearly 4,000 last year, new data shows

OTTAWA — New government figures show that nearly 4,000 Canadians died from… Continue reading

Smoking hits new low; about 14 per cent of US adults light up

NEW YORK — Smoking in the U.S. has hit another all-time low.… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month