Joshua Frank confessed to the murders of Gordon, Sandra and Monica Klaus during a conversation with an undercover RCMP officer who was posing as an organized crime boss. (Photo contributed by RCMP)

Castor triple murderer appeals his sentence

Joshua Frank and Jason Klaus have both appealed life sentences

The second man convicted of triple murder for the deaths of a Castor family is appealing his life sentence.

Joshua Frank filed a notice of appeal last week. His accomplice, Jason Klaus, filed a similar notice two months ago.

In February, both men were convicted and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years for killing Klaus’ parents Gordon and Sandra and his sister Monica in the family farmhouse in December 2013.

Related:

Klaus appeals

Killers sentenced

In his notice of appeal paperwork, Frank ticked off the box that he is applying for a leave to appeal his conviction “on the grounds involving a question of fact alone or a question of mixed law and fact, and if leave be granted, hereby appeals against the said conviction.”

Under a section asking what relief is sought, Frank printed “a new trial, to overturn my conviction.”

No other details on the grounds he hopes to appeal his sentence are included in the notice filed on March 2.

Frank reveals that he does not have a lawyer now. “I am seeking counsel,” he printed.

Frank had been represented by Calgary lawyers Tonii Roulston and Andrea Urquhart, who defended him during a six-week trial that wrapped up last November.

At the time he filed his appeal, Frank was in the Calgary Remand Centre waiting to be sent to a federal penitentiary. “I don’t know which one yet,” he says.

In sentencing, Justice Eric Macklin said he was convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that Frank and Klaus plotted and carried out the murders and burned the house down to destroy evidence.

Macklin said that Frank shot the family members in their beds with a nine-millimetre Ruger handgun and set the fire. He also shot the family dog.

Confessions coaxed out of both men during a four-month RCMP Mr. Big sting operation in mid-2014 were central to the Crown prosecutors’ case.

Klaus says in his appeal notice that the Mr. Big evidence should not have been allowed.

Klaus also contends a separate judge made a mistake by allowing the trial to go ahead at all because his right to a speedy trial had been violated.

He also added his reasons for appeal include “such further grounds as my counsel may argue.”



pcowley@reddeeradvocate.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

WATCH: Trekking through the foam in Red Deer

The fourth 5K Foam Fest was held at Heritage Ranch in Red Deer Saturday

WATCH: Red Deer residents protest for more equal family court treatment

Despite unfavourable weather, Matias Battauz was “stoked” to have three other people… Continue reading

First-come first-serve for Red Deer’s 35 cannabis retail licences

Starting July 11, interested businesses can get their application started

Central Alberta school divisions to support rural students through agreement

Wolf Creek to bring Enhanced Learning Model courses to Clearview schools

WATCH: Red Deer Catholic students re-envision a local wetland for school project

Father Henri Voisin Grade 3 teacher introduces ‘real-life’-based education

WATCH: Celebrating Highland culture in Red Deer

The 71st Highland Games was held at Westerner Park Saturday

Red Deer man and woman charged for shoplifting

Two people from Red Deer were arrested after allegedly shoplifting from an… Continue reading

PHOTOS: Red Deer, Central Alberta kids get their chance to compete in Woody’s Triathlon

The kids of steel Woody’s Triathlon saw kids between the ages of… Continue reading

US moves 100 coffins to inter-Korean border for war remains

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of — The U.S. military said it moved 100… Continue reading

First lady’s ‘don’t care’ jacket is a gift to memers online

NEW YORK — I really don’t care, do u? Perhaps one day… Continue reading

From boat makers to farmers, US-led tariff war inflicts pain

WASHINGTON — A Florida boat builder absorbs $4 million in lost business… Continue reading

Vatican convicts ex-diplomat of child porn distribution

VATICAN CITY — The Vatican tribunal on Saturday convicted a former Holy… Continue reading

Charges dropped against Alberta property owner in rural shooting

OKOTOKS, Alta. — All charges have been dropped against a man accused… Continue reading

China blocks John Oliver on social media after scathing show

BEIJING — A popular Chinese social media site is censoring discussion of… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month