Caught between two provinces, Quebec border town mulls leaving Atlantic bubble

Caught between two provinces, Quebec border town mulls leaving Atlantic bubble

MONTREAL — After lobbying to be included in the Atlantic bubble this spring, an eastern Quebec town may be leaving it over what its mayor describes as overly onerous restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Pointe-a-la-Croix along with the neighbouring Listuguj First Nation are the only remaining Quebec communities whose residents are allowed to make day trips to New Brunswick for reasons other than work, child custody or medical care.

But as cases recently began rising in other parts of Quebec’s Gaspe region, tighter restrictions were brought in to reinforce the bubble: residents of the town can no longer travel elsewhere in the province, and those living in nearby Quebec towns cannot visit unless it’s for work, health care or humanitarian reasons, according to a ministerial order published by the Quebec government last Friday.

While the links between his Gaspe town and neighbouring Campbellton, N.B., are strong, Pointe-a-la-Croix Mayor Pascal Bujold says the new rules go too far.

“It’s a situation that has divided, that has created a sense of urgency, frustration from citizens from the municipalities, because we see each other on a daily basis,” he said in a phone interview.

While the order was issued by the Quebec government, Bujold believes it came at the request of New Brunswick.

Bujold said the town had been eager to gain an exemption to the New Brunswick travel restrictions. The town’s biggest employer is the hospital in Campbellton, and many residents travel to New Brunswick for work, services or to visit family. His own mother lives across the border, he said.

He said his administration had agreed to carry out an education campaign to dissuade residents from leaving the community, warning them that they may not be allowed into New Brunswick if they do. But he said he never expected for his community to be cut off from the rest of Quebec, especially when many nearby residents depend on Pointe-a-la-Croix for services.

“It’s really not the situation we wanted,” he said.

Bujold said he recently submitted to New Brunswick a proposed list of exceptions, including allowing neighbouring Quebec residents to visit family members and certain businesses in his town, but it was rejected. Now he says he’s prepared to pull his town out of the bubble unless New Brunswick has a change of heart.

On Tuesday, New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs said his government was reviewing the border restrictions with Quebec but was unlikely to soften its stance.

“At this stage I don’t see an expansion in the works. A contraction is possible,” he said. “We’re working very closely with the community to understand the risks and what might be necessary to mitigate the risks.”

The restrictions have caused frustration with residents of nearby towns, including Matapedia, whose mayor bristled at the idea of an outside government influencing Quebecers’ travel within their own province.

“What we find difficult is Mr. Higgs’s government is imposing restrictions on the territory of Quebec,” Nicole Lagace said in a phone interview. “It’s a bit inconceivable.”

But not everyone affected by the restrictions disagrees with them.

Chief Darcy Gray of the Listuguj Mi’kmaq First Nation said he believes the restrictions are worth it to be able to maintain connections in New Brunswick.

Unlike Pointe-a-la-Croix, he said his community has few ties to Quebec and interacts mostly with New Brunswick.

“There’s shared custody issues, there’s access to family members that may be hospitalized on the New Brunswick side. There’s just a lot that comes with splitting out of the bubble,” he said in a phone interview.

While he admits he was “caught off guard” by some restrictions, including not being able to receive visitors, Gray believes most members of his community were already complying with the measures, with or without an order.

“I don’t want to be driving to places where there’s COVID, and I don’t think our community members want to, either,” he said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct 6, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Quebec

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read