Red Deer’s Royal Canadian Legion will recognize the 100th anniversary of the city’s cenotaph with a parade and ceremony on Sept. 25.
The cenotaph, formally unveiled on Sept. 15, 1922, was erected in memory of the men and women of central Alberta who served during the First World War.
More than 800 citizens from the Red Deer district served overseas, and 114 of them did not return from the European battlefields.
Names of the local soldiers killed in action during the Second World War have been added to the scrolls inside the monument.
Major Frank Norbury, an architectural sculptor at the University of Alberta, carved the figure of the soldier in Tyndall stone, and local architect, C.A. Julian Sharman, designed the pedestal.
“The soldier’s face communicates both a weariness and a resolution of purpose, while his body twists westwards in a symbolic motion away from the ravages of European battlefields and towards home and peace,” states a description in Alberta Culture’s Historic Resources Management Branch.
Sunday’s military parade, led by Red Deer & District Pipe Band, will march at 10:45 a.m. from 51st Street, one block north of the cenotaph, to the cenotaph on Ross Street where the outdoor ceremony will be held.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter