Alberta’s education minister has echoed Premier Jason Kenney’s announcement that students will not be returning to classrooms this school year.
“While I know many of you anticipated this decision, I do understand it is still difficult to hear. It is another example of the far-reaching effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how it has changed the lives of all Albertans in so many ways,” said Adriana LaGrange in a statement.
Last week, Kenney released Alberta’s relaunch strategy.
“While the premier touched upon concepts such as reopening some schools on a trial basis, the possibility of summer school and coming back earlier than normal to regain some of the lost time, I want to be clear that no decisions have been made on any aspect of the re-entry plan,” said LaGrange, MLA for Red Deer-North.
“These items are only three of many considerations before us.”
She said any proposal for the re-entry plan will be subject to approval from the chief medical officer of health and subject to the terms of union agreements.
LaGrange said she has spoken with many education partners, such as the Alberta Teachers’ Association and the Alberta School Board Association, since classes were cancelled indefinitely on March 15.
“Looking ahead, we will continue to work with you on our re-entry plan. I appreciated the calls and video meetings, and look forward to reviewing additional feedback in the coming days.”