Court hears details of reserve shooting that killed boy

WETASKIWIN — Five-year-old Ethan Yellowbird was sleeping in his tiny fire-truck bed when three teens standing outside took turns shooting a rifle at his father’s home.

WETASKIWIN — Five-year-old Ethan Yellowbird was sleeping in his tiny fire-truck bed when three teens standing outside took turns shooting a rifle at his father’s home.

One bullet ripped through the wall above the child’s mattress, struck him in the head, then zinged through the house until it lodged in a tile on a bathroom wall.

No one will probably ever know which of the three youths fired the fatal shot on July 11, 2011, on the Samson Cree reserve in central Alberta.

Details of the shooting were provided for the first time in court on Wednesday, but there wasn’t an explanation as to the motive for the attack, including whether the teens may have been targeting someone. RCMP have previously said the three had ties to gangs.

The teens — 13, 16 and 17 at the time — pleaded guilty earlier this month to manslaughter. They are to appear again in Wetaskiwin youth court for a sentencing hearing on Jan. 30.

Crown prosecutor Trent Wilson has indicated he plans to ask for the maximum youth sentence for the offence— two years in custody followed by one year of supervision.

Ethan’s mother, Ashley Charmaine Yellowbird read a victim impact statement to the judge.

“I have an ache in my heart for my son that will never go away.”

Wiping away tears, she added that she tries to be strong for her other four children, but feels part of her died with Ethan. “He’s never coming home. He’ll never grow up.”

Ethan had been sleeping at the home of his dad, Lee Buffalo. An agreed statement of facts said Buffalo, his girlfriend, Alicia Simon, and their one-year-old child were all sleeping in a bed next to Ethan.

Court heard the three teens had been hanging out that night at one of their homes and came up with a plan to shoot up the house. They all handled the gun and one of them loaded it. At 3 a.m., they walked over to the house.

The oldest teen fired one shot above the house, then passed the gun to the other boys and walked away. The other two each fired two shots. Two bullets hit near the front door, one went into the basement and one struck Ethan.

“It’s unclear which of the three accused fired the shot that killed Ethan Yellowbird,” said the court document.

It also said Simon first heard the shots and woke up Ethan’s father.

“She believed she had been hit by a bullet. She ran out of the house and was yelling for an ambulance.”

Buffalo then realized his son had been killed.

Before the teens ran off, they picked up the shell casings and put them into a hat. They broke the rifle into two pieces and hid them outside near some tree stumps.

“It was later disposed of by someone else” and has yet to be recovered, said the document.

The Samson reserve, one of four near Hobbema about an hour’s drive south of Edmonton, has been plagued for years by gangs and violence. Two months after Ethan’s death, his aunt was shot and killed outside the home next door.

Police have in the past blamed most of the violence on gangs fighting over the reserve’s drug trade.

Earlier this week in Wetaskiwin court, a judge heard about another shooting on the reserve three months before Ethan died. No one was injured, but the suspects included Ethan’s uncle, Justin Whitebear, and the 16-year-old charged in Ethan’s death.

RCMP initially charged only Whitebear, said his defence lawyer, Tom Engel. But a witness who was 10 years old at the time testified that Whitebear wasn’t the culprit — several others had been lying in wait and planned to kill Whitebear that day.

A judge agreed and ruled that Whitebear shot back in self defence, said Engel.

The lawyer plans to file a complaint against the RCMP for failing to properly investigate the case. If they had, he said, perhaps they would have arrested the one teen who later took part in Ethan’s shooting.

Whitebear’s mother and Ethan’s grandmother, Debbie Buffalo, said if that teen had been behind bars, things may have turned out differently.

“My grandson might not have died. He might have still been here,” she said outside court.

She said she still can’t explain why the three teens chose to fire at the house the night Ethan died.

The one thing she knows for sure is that it wasn’t a simple fight between two people. The victim was “an innocent little boy — who had nothing to do with anything.”

A lawyer representing the oldest offender in Ethan’s shooting, who turns 19 next month, said her client is willing to participate in a community conference with his relatives and Ethan’s family to come up with sentencing recommendations.

But Debbie Buffalo said she and the rest of Ethan’s family are still too hurt to talk face-to-face with any of the shooters.

“It’s only been a year and a half. It’s still pretty tough,” she said.

“Acceptance isn’t even there yet … forgiveness comes after that.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read