Court reserves decision on appeal of man convicted of killing couple, grandson

Court reserves decision on appeal of man convicted of killing couple, grandson

CALGARY — A lawyer for a man who killed a Calgary couple and their young grandson says the trial judge imposed a “vengeful sentence,” since his client will be 129 years old before he is eligible for parole.

Douglas Garland was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years after a jury found him guilty of first-degree murder in the slayings of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and five-year-old Nathan O’Brien.

The trial judge had ruled the automatic life sentence with a minimum 25 years before parole eligibility needed to be increased because of aggravating factors, including Nathan’s young age and Garland not expressing remorse.

Garland’s lawyers argued before the Alberta Court of Appeal on Tuesday that three consecutive parole ineligibilities is “excessive and harsh.”

“The primary sentencing rules here are denunciation, deterrence, moral blameworthiness and things of that nature. But just because this is a heinous crime doesn’t mean that all these other principles don’t get their due weight also,” said Kim Ross.

“(The trial judge) says, ‘Look, it’s not going to make any difference if Mr. Garland is 79 years of age at year 25, whether he’s 104 at 50, or whether he’s at 129 at 75 years.’

“At the end of the day, in my respectful submission, what the learned sentencing judge did was essentially impose a vengeful sentence and basically said, ‘It doesn’t matter.’”

The Appeal Court reserved its decision.

Last year, it rejected Garland’s appeal of his conviction.

Prosecutor Christine Rideout said Tuesday that the trial judge examined all issues of the case before imposing the sentence.

“The issue becomes was it excessive and harsh in the circumstances of this case?” she asked.

“This offender committed not just one first-degree murder. He committed three of them. And even within each of those first-degree murders, there was aggravating factors that even elevated the seriousness of those offences.”

The grandparents and the boy vanished after an estate sale at the couple’s home on June 29, 2014. Nathan had been there for a sleepover.

Prosecutors believe the three were attacked at the home before they were taken to the Garland farm, north of Calgary, where they were killed. Their bodies were never recovered, but bone fragments, burned flesh and teeth were found in ash from a burning barrel on the property.

The Crown had argued that Garland’s anger over a dispute about a patent for an oilfield pump that he and Alvin Liknes had worked on together had built up to the point where he meticulously plotted the killings.

This report by the Canadian Press was first published June 16, 2020

Bill Graveland, The Canadian Press

crime

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Red Deer city council to vote on mandatory face mask bylaw

The City of Red Deer’s administration is recommending a mandatory face mask… Continue reading

Central Alberta Sudanese community expresses sorrow for doctor’s death

Sudanese community condemns killing of doctor and offers sympathies to his family

Vigils to take place tonight for Alberta doctor killed in walk-in clinic

RED DEER, Alta. — Two vigils are planned tonight for a family… Continue reading

Feds create task force to help get Canadians home after Beirut blast

OTTAWA — The federal government has set up a task force to… Continue reading

Cast your votes for Best of Red Deer

The Advocate’s Best of Red Deer Readers’ Choice Awards are back. Community… Continue reading

Transit riders urged to review new service changes

We urge all transit riders to submit a transit survey after they… Continue reading

Wearing a mask is easy compared to other sacrifices

How did we let protecting your community become a polarized debate, instead… Continue reading

Michael Dawe: Indecision almost prevented creation of downtown oasis

One of the crown jewels of Red Deer is City Hall Park,… Continue reading

U.S.-Canada pandemic border restrictions extended into September

‘We will continue to keep our communities safe,’ says Public Safety Minister Bill Blair

AB Infrastructure Minister announces $8,522,800 regional water transmission line

Funding is covered jointly by the province, Ottawa and benefiting municipalities

Australian survey: younger Olympians more willing to protest

BRISBANE, Australia — An Australian survey shows a higher proportion of younger… Continue reading

Cohen’s book foreword: Trump ‘wouldn’t mind if I was dead’

NEW YORK — Michael Cohen’s memoir about President Donald Trump will be… Continue reading

Most Read