Criminal case against top military judge collapses, charges withdrawn

OTTAWA — The criminal case against Canada’s top military judge has collapsed.

The Canadian Armed Forces’ top prosecutor announced Wednesday that he was withdrawing all four charges against chief military judge Col. Mario Dutil in a case that had been seen as a key test of the military-justice system.

Dutil was first charged by military police in January 2018 over allegations of having had an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate and signing a travel claim that contained false information. He was the first person to be charged while serving in that role.

Dutil’s deputy, Lt.-Col. Louis-Vincent d’Auteuil, presided over the court martial at first, but eventually recused himself and refused to name another military judge to take over, saying two of them had conflicts of interest and the third wasn’t bilingual enough.

Col. Bruce MacGregor, the director of military prosecutions, subsequently asked the Federal Court to order one of those judges to preside over the case.

MacGregor insisted on keeping the case within the military-justice system rather than the civilian system, arguing it was the most appropriate venue to weigh the charges against Dutil.

But Federal Court Justice Luc Martineau rejected MacGregor’s request last week, saying that an order to have one of the other judges take the case would do irreparable damage to Dutil’s constitutional right to a fair trial.

Martineau said the tidiest solution would be to name an outside civilian judge to hear the case, but also that the real problem is that the law on military justice never contemplated a scenario where the military’s top judge would face charges himself.

In announcing the withdrawal of the charges against Dutil, MacGregor said he would not appeal Martineau’s decision even as he insisted that all military personnel, “regardless of rank or appointment, are held to the same, highest standard of conduct.

“In this specific case, alleged wrongdoing was reported and investigated by proper authorities, charges were laid and moved forward in accordance with the law,” MacGregor said in a statement.

“However, after conducting a detailed review of the Federal Court’s decision to dismiss my application for judicial review, and carefully considering all circumstances surrounding this case, I believe that it is no longer in the public interest to proceed with this trial.”

Asked why MacGregor didn’t seek to have the Federal Court or the military’s appeal court hear the case, as Martineau recommended, a spokeswoman said that decision would ultimately rest with d’Auteuil “and is not an option open to the director of military prosecutions.”

While the prosecutor’s decision is independent, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan told The Canadian Press that the government would review the case to determine what improvements need to be made to the military justice system.

“I look forward to getting briefed up from the JAG (judge advocate general) from this decision and we will look towards improving this,” Sajjan said in reference to the military’s top legal officer. ”One thing I can assure you, the military justice system will make the changes necessary.”

Dutil, who has been the chief military judge since 2006, was originally charged with eight counts in relation to allegations he had an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate and knowingly signed a travel claim for $927.60 that contained false information.

Four of the charges were dropped at the start of the court martial in June 2019, where Dutil’s lawyer served d’Auteuil with a subpoena before challenging the presiding judge’s impartiality and asking him to recuse himself.

A publication ban covered details of that portion of the hearing, which included Dutil testifying about his relationship with d’Auteuil, whom he described as a “confidant,” but was later lifted before d’Auteuil recused himself.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 11, 2020.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

crime

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A message from the Advocate publisher

In good times and bad, The Red Deer Advocate has been here… Continue reading

Sunchild First Nation man reported missing

Contact Rocky Mountain RCMP

Parliament may need to be recalled again to approve wage subsidy program

OTTAWA — Canadians are supposed to get more details today of the… Continue reading

US death toll eclipses China’s as reinforcements head to NYC

NEW YORK — The U.S. death toll from the coronavirus climbed past… Continue reading

WATCH: Firefighters, RCMP help Red Deer boy celebrate 3rd birthday

Firefighters and RCMP officers helped a Red Deer boy celebrate his third… Continue reading

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

Fiscal transparency would help

Way back before the COVID-19 crisis came upon us, the federal government… Continue reading

A message from Waskasoo Medical Clinic

A Message From Waskasoo Medical Clinic Waskasoo Medical Clinic (including our walk-in… Continue reading

UPDATE: Anti-tax group calls for MPs, senators to donate scheduled pay raises to charity

Bill C-30, adopted 15 years ago, mandates the salary and allowance increases each calendar year

Michael Dawe: Public projects often play a role in creating jobs during tough times

At the end of October 1929, the New York stock market collapsed… Continue reading

Sylvan Lake photographer captures family life from the front steps

Deb McNeil is taking porch portraits to share the uniqueness of families during COVID-19

Montreal Impact midfielder Shamit Shome making most of time alone

Montreal Impact midfielder Shamit Shome has been making the most of his… Continue reading

Most Read