Crown prosecutors have yet to decide if they will seek dangerous offender status for an Eckville sexual predator who targeted young children.
A psychological assessment has been completed that prosecutors will consider before seeking approval from the Alberta Attorney General to pursue dangerous or long-term offender status for the 35-year-old man.
He previously pleaded guilty to more than two dozen child sexual exploitation-related charges.
The man’s victims ranged in age from two to 10 years old. His identity cannot be published to protect the identity of his victims.
Defence lawyer Robin Snider told Red Deer provincial court Judge David Plosz on Wednesday that the specialized Crown prosecutor office has not said if it plans to pursue dangerous offender status for her client.
A decision is expected by the next court appearance on April 27.
To ensure sentencing does not drag into next year, because of a lack of court time, 10 days have already been set aside in October to hold a dangerous or long-term offender hearing, should it be required.
Over nearly a decade, the man took hundreds of photos and videos of children, some of whom were visiting or staying overnight for sleepovers.
He recorded himself sexual assaulting or molesting children many times, sharing some of the images on online child pornography sites.