Members of the Canadian Armed Forces march during the Calgary Stampede parade in Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Culture becomes latest front in military’s fight against sexual misconduct

Culture becomes latest front in military’s fight against sexual misconduct

OTTAWA — Members of the Canadian Armed Forces are being told that it’s possible to be the “ultimate soldier” while still caring for other people as the military launches the next phase of its fight against sexual misconduct in the ranks.

The new phase comes five years after the launch of Operation Honour, which was billed as an all-out effort to address what was found to be a highly sexualized culture in the Armed Forces that left victims to fend for themselves.

Senior military commanders as well as observers, advocates and several reports have since acknowledged the mixed results of that initial approach, which focused largely on supporting victims and punishing perpetrators.

Those efforts will continue, but the new phase launched on Wednesday also emphasizes addressing those aspects of the military’s culture that might be contributing to sexual misconduct — some of which are long-standing.

The military’s second in command delivered a strong message to anyone who would disagree with the need to behave appropriately.

“There is zero contradiction between being the ultimate soldier, aviator, sailor, warfighter, if you will … and treating people well,” vice-chief of the defence staff Lt.-Gen. Mike Rouleau said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

“This is the crux of the issue. There is no machismo and conflict-oriented culture that renders it permissible to treat people inappropriately. And that’s the message,” he said.

“Anybody who still lives in that arcane space needs to leave.”

To mark the start of the new phase, the Armed Forces on Wednesday released a detailed plan called The Path to Dignity and Respect that itself noted a “disconnection” between the military’s stated culture and reality on the ground.

That disconnect has been highlighted in a number of reports compiled and released since the military first found itself under fire in 2014 over its handling of sexual assault complaints and other inappropriate behaviour.

Statistics Canada last year found minimal progress in eradicating sexual misconduct in the ranks while the auditor general reported in 2018 that the military was failing to support victims properly and resolve cases quickly.

That was despite senior leaders having vowed starting in July 2015 to take a zero-tolerance approach to the problem, which was identified as a real threat to the military’s unity and effectiveness.

“There’s a lot that’s been done since 2015,” Rouleau said. “But it was mostly reactive work. It was getting after the immediate, urgent things in the face of this really big problem that we had to deal with.

Yet the past five years also laid the foundation for the new longer-term strategy, said Rouleau.

“We got some of the research done,” he said. “We consulted external experts. And today, releasing The Path, which is this strategy that aligns us culturally, signals a shift from the reactive to the proactive.”

While much of the plan focuses on the “aligning” the military’s culture to its values and principles as part of an ongoing fight against sexual misconduct, it also lays out some specific actions for the Armed Forces to undertake.

Those include not only punishing perpetrators, but also looking at ways to rehabilitate and reintegrate those who might be able to stay in uniform.

One thing missing is any plan to helping victims reintegrate into the Armed Forces or civilian life after coming forward with complaints, said Marie-Claude Gagnon of It’s Just 700, a support group for survivors of military sexual trauma.

“Given the high number of my group members who either quit or were medically released after reporting, or being forced to report, a sexual assault, I think a plan is necessary,” said Gagnon, a former naval reservist.

She cited the results of a survey of victims of sexual misconduct by the military published earlier this year as evidence of the fears and poor treatment that such service members experience when it comes to reporting such behaviour.

“In the CAF survey on sexual misconduct, fear of career loss, and career impact, is a big deterrent for victims to report,” Gagnon said. “If there is no plan to help ensure successful careers to victims, victims will be less willing to report.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 28, 2020.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Military sexual misconduct

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Deena Hinshaw, accompanied by Premier Jason Kenney, in March when the pandemic had just started in Alberta. On Wednesday, Kenney said COVID-19 vaccine will be distributed in three phases in the province. Photo by Government of Alberta
COVID-19 vaccine available to Albertans in January – distributed in 3 phases

Vaccine won’t be widely available until the fall of 2021

The G.H. Dawe Community Centre in Red Deer is getting a twinned ice rink, spray park and other upgrades as part of the 2021 capital budget. (Advocate file photo).
Red Deer city council approves $43.3 million upgrade to G.H. Dawe Centre

In a 7-2 vote, the majority on council felt it’s about time

Olds College received 10 Angus heifer calves, donated by The Canadian Red Angus Promotion Society. (File photo)
Olds College and TELUS to develop new agriculture technologies

TELUS Agriculture is investing $1 million in the Olds College Smart Farm.… Continue reading

Const. Jason Tress leaves Red Deer provincial court. An RCMP officer, whose name is under a publication ban, testified Tress sexually assaulted her at a party in 2012. Photo by PAUL COWLEY/Advocate staff
Former Red Deer RCMP officer denies sexually assaulting colleague

Former Const. Jason Tress took the stand in his own defence on Wednesday

A new public washroom, proposed for downtown Red Deer, was tabled in the city’s 2021 budget discussions so more questions can be answered about the proposal. (Advocate file photo).
Proposed downtown public washroom is stalled in 2021 budget discussions

More questions need to be answered about the $511,500 project

Dan Cochrane, senior pastor at CrossRoads Church. Contributed photo
CrossRoads Church closes its doors for two weeks after staff member tests positive for COVID-19

CrossRoads Church made the decision to cancel in-house services for two weeks… Continue reading

Goals galore for Ronaldo, Giroud, Neymar in Champions League

Goals galore for Ronaldo, Giroud, Neymar in Champions League

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins is seen at a media availablity to introduce new pitcher Shun Yamaguchi in Toronto on January 15, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Jays ‘prepared’ if things pick up on free agency and trade fronts this off-season

Jays ‘prepared’ if things pick up on free agency and trade fronts this off-season

Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, left, and teammate Taylor Austin are shown during training in Whistler, B.C., in this undated handout photo. Montreal Allouettes running back Shaquille Murray-Lawrence is used to pysching himself up to sprint down a field, evading a crush of muscled men the entire way. But mentally preparing for his latest venture required bracing for a whole new set of anxieties. As he got ready to hop in a bobsleigh for the first time, Murray-Lawrence knew he'd be zipping down an icy track faster than cars are allowed to travel down most highways. Murrary-Lawrence, 27, is one of three CFL players who joined the national bobsleigh team after the league canceled its season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Shaquille Murray-Lawrence
Sliding into a new sport: CFLers turn to bobsled after football season wiped out

Sliding into a new sport: CFLers turn to bobsled after football season wiped out

North Carolina State defensive lineman Daniel Joseph (99) celebrates with linebacker Isaiah Moore after Moore forced a Liberty safety during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020, in Raleigh, N.C. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Hyman, The News & Observer via AP, Pool
Canadian defensive lineman Daniel Joseph enjoying a banner first campaign at NC State

Canadian defensive lineman Daniel Joseph enjoying a banner first campaign at NC State

A Canadian Pacific Railway employee walks along the side of a locomotive in a marshalling yard in Calgary on May 16, 2012. CP says an investigation is underway following the release of a video showing one of the company's trains running over dozens of pronghorn antelope in southwestern Saskatchewan.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
CP investigating after video shows train running over pronghorn antelope herd

CP investigating after video shows train running over pronghorn antelope herd

Bullet holes from 2014 attack on Parliament Hill to be left untouched in renovations

Bullet holes from 2014 attack on Parliament Hill to be left untouched in renovations

Marc Miller, Minister of Indigenous Services, holds a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2020., to announce additional funds to improve access to safe drinking water on reserves. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Boil-water advisories at First Nations communities to remain past March 2021: feds

Boil-water advisories at First Nations communities to remain past March 2021: feds

Wilner Cayo, centre, and Frantz Andre attend a demonstration outside Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's constituency office in Montreal on May 23, 2020, where they called on the government to give residency status to migrant workers as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
Refugee advocates criticize Canada’s decision to resume deportations during COVID-19

Refugee advocates criticize Canada’s decision to resume deportations during COVID-19

Most Read