A dog had to be euthanized after it was poisoned on Saturday in northwest Red Deer, RCMP said Monday.
Police said that the owner believed the incident occurred Saturday afternoon after the small dog briefly escaped its yard in the Johnstone neighbourhood and then grew sick later that evening.
The veterinarian who treated the dog confirmed that it had ingested chicken and antifreeze and it had to be euthanized that evening. She confirmed with RCMP that this was the only case her clinic had seen as of late Monday morning.
Police received the poisoning report Monday morning.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Red Deer RCMP at 403-343-5575.
To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or report it online at www.tipsubmit.com.