Dozens of families with no-fly list hassles contact Ontario boy’s mother

It turns out the little Ontario boy who's been having trouble boarding airplanes is far from alone.

OTTAWA — It turns out the little Ontario boy who’s been having trouble boarding airplanes is far from alone.

The whirlwind of publicity about six-year-old Syed Adam Ahmed’s difficulty at the airport has prompted dozens of other families with similar stories to contact Khadija Cajee, the boy’s mother.

Twenty-one of them agreed to be mentioned in a letter that Cajee has sent to federal cabinet ministers involved in the high-profile issue.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale promised to investigate after Adam’s father, Sulemaan Ahmed, tweeted a photo from Toronto’s international airport that appeared to show the boy’s name with a “DHP” or “deemed high profile” label and instructions on how to proceed before allowing the youngster to check in.

They were trying to board an Air Canada flight Dec. 31 to Boston to see the NHL Winter Classic.

Tales of other children with the same sorts of travel challenges soon emerged. And now Adam’s mother has become an unofficial liaison with the Liberal government on behalf of many families.

“When they saw this in the media, they contacted us,” said Cajee, who lives in Markham, Ont. “Because I guess they were surprised and happy to know they were not the only ones.”

The 21 cases Cajee is sharing in confidence with Goodale and other ministers involve Canadian-born children ranging in age from six months to 17 years.

“They’ve never been denied boarding, but they’ve all had some level of delay and inconvenience,” Cajee said.

“Some of them have actually missed flights because of this.”

After Adam’s case hit the headlines, Goodale said his officials had reminded airlines they don’t need to vet children against Canada’s no-fly list.

His department is also exploring possible changes to the Secure Air Travel Regulations that would help identify those who have similar or the same names as people on the no-fly list, but are not the intended targets.

In addition, Goodale indicated the no-fly regime — officially known as the Passenger Protect Program — would be examined during broad public consultations on Canada’s overall security framework.

In a statement at the time, Adam’s parents welcomed Goodale’s announcement, saying he “addressed several key points that we asked for.”

Since then, Cajee has sent followup queries to the family’s MP — Health Minister Jane Philpott — and the ministers of public safety, transport and foreign affairs.

“Honestly, I think we have more questions now than we did before,” Cajee said.

The family would like to know if Adam is no longer flagged in the system and, if not, when he will be removed.

However, it’s difficult to understand exactly why he and the other young travellers have been stopped at the airport, in part due to the quiet use of U.S. air-security lists in Canada.

Other countries are at liberty to develop their own rules for their own purposes, Goodale said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

“But it can have a spillover effect that is very difficult to manage. We’ll obviously look at that in the process of the consultation that we’re going to undertake with the airlines and with the general public. It’s just critically important to get this balance right.”

Meantime, Adam is slated to fly to Edmonton in March, the boy’s mother said. “So we’ll see what happens.”

Just Posted

One strong wind leaves years of replanting work for Red Deer parks staff

High visibility boulevards already replanted, neighbourhood work starts next year

Red Deer-area indigenous filmmakers invited to apply for $20,000 grant

Storyhive launches Indigenous Storyteller Edition

Restaurant closed after compliance team patrol

Public Safety Compliance Team checked eight bars and restaurants on Oct. 19

Red Deerians await local cannabis stores

So far 31 stores in Alberta awarded licence to operate

Rimbey RCMP seek missing man with health concerns

Has anyone seen Bill Harris of Ponka County?

WATCH: Make-A-Wish grants Star Wars loving teen’s wish

The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted Anakin Suerink’s wish in Red Deer Saturday afternoon

Local Sports: Rudy Soffo valuable to Kings on the court

When Rudy Soffo first saw the RDC basketball Kings roster he was… Continue reading

Except for 1 kick, Saints, Ravens are evenly matched

BALTIMORE — In a matchup between the league’s highest-scoring offence and top-ranked… Continue reading

Julia Louis-Dreyfus gets a top award for comedy

WASHINGTON — After a 35-year acting career and with two iconic television… Continue reading

Ricky Skaggs, Dottie West enter Country Music Hall of Fame

NASHVILLE — Bluegrass and country star Ricky Skaggs, singer Dottie West and… Continue reading

AP Exclusive: Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair, thesis for sale

LONDON — Stephen Hawking was a cosmic visionary, a figure of inspiration… Continue reading

Canada deemed U.S. a safe country for asylum seekers after internal review

OTTAWA — Canadian immigration officials have determined that the United States remains… Continue reading

Bombardier sues Mitsubishi over alleged theft of aircraft trade secrets

MONTREAL — Bombardier is suing Mitsubishi Aircraft in the United States over… Continue reading

Three strong earthquakes reported in Pacific Ocean off Vancouver Island

Three relatively strong earthquakes were recorded Sunday night in the Pacific Ocean… Continue reading

Most Read