Eight sex assault claims investigated after complaints to military crisis centre

Military police have launched eight investigations as a result of complaints filed with the new sexual misconduct response centre at the Department of National Defence, the country's top commander revealed Monday.

OTTAWA — Military police have launched eight investigations as a result of complaints filed with the new sexual misconduct response centre at the Department of National Defence, the country’s top commander revealed Monday.

The information is part of a progress report from the chief of defence staff, Gen. Jonathan Vance, who is leading a crackdown on inappropriate sexual behaviour in the ranks of the Canadian military.

The report references six cases that were referred by the centre to the National Investigative Service between September and December of last year. Vance said two other allegations were received in January.

Overall, the centre, which was set up in response to a scathing report last year by former Supreme Court of Canada justice Marie Deschamps, received 204 phone calls, emails and texts between September and December.

Of these, 53 involved allegations of sexual offences and another 32 related to claims of sexual harassment.

The report, which details other administrative steps taken by the military, represents a first step, said Vance.

“The Canadian Armed Forces has only just begin this mission,” he said in a prepared statement.

“Last year we acknowledged harmful and inappropriate sexual behaviour is a significant problem in our organization. This report shows we are moving in the right direction to ensure a professional environment of respect and dignity for every Canadian Armed Forces member.”

Last summer, Vance initiated a wide-ranging effort to eliminate abuse, harassment and assault within the ranks. Designed like a military operation, he set out tasks, timelines and objectives for the military to make the cultural shift.

Deschamps, in a forward written for the report, said the “crisis cycle which has characterized the approach of the Canadian Armed Forces to sexual misconduct to date must be stopped.”

The issue, which gained prominence in the mid-1990s with the introduction of women into combat roles, has resurfaced time and again with publicized reports of abusive behaviour and assault.

The path for change is laid out in the report, Deschamps said.

In an interview, Vance acknowledges the cycle of crisis response isn’t over and he committed to releasing more data, in future reports, that tracks not only reports to the crisis response centre, but how those allegations — and potential criminal cases — are death with by the system.

National Defence is also partnering with Statistics Canada this spring for a survey “designed to determine the nature and scope of harmful and inappropriate sexual behaviour,” the report said.

The survey will be offered to all 66,000 full-time members and 21,000 part-time members of the military.

Just Posted

Motorcyclist dies of injuries

Ponoka RCMP continue to investigate collision

Huge crowds gathering in downtown Toronto for Raptors parade, rally

TORONTO — Jubilant Raptors fans decked out in the team’s gear are… Continue reading

Boeing says ‘sorry’ for Max crashes, seeks renewed trust

LE BOURGET, France — Boeing executives apologized Monday to airlines and families… Continue reading

Protesters demand embattled Hong Kong leader resign

HONG KONG — Demonstrators in Hong Kong gathered Monday outside the office… Continue reading

After harsh Twitter exchanges, Senate will look at new social media policy

OTTAWA — An independent senator is on a mission to get members… Continue reading

Pro-pipelines rally draws crowd to City Hall

Canadian Taxpayers Federation says Canada missing out on billions in revenue

Canadian sports fans have changed since the Blue Jays’ World Series wins

TORONTO — After more than a quarter century since one of the… Continue reading

Henderson wins Meijer LPGA to break Canadian victory record

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Brooke Henderson won the Meijer LPGA Classic on… Continue reading

Franchise fatigue continues with ‘Men in Black’ and ‘Shaft’

LOS ANGELES — Brand familiarity isn’t everything when it comes to attracting… Continue reading

‘Hunger Games’ prequel novel coming in 2020

NEW YORK — A decade after seemingly wrapping up “The Hunger Games,”… Continue reading

Federal cabinet decision on fate of Trans Mountain pipeline due Tuesday

OTTAWA — The Liberal government’s $4.5 billion gamble to buy the Trans… Continue reading

Skier, 22 dies after fall on Mount Haig near Castle Mountain Ski Resort

PINCHER CREEK, Alta. — RCMP from the Pincher Creek, Alta., detachment are… Continue reading

4 years in, Trump fondly recalls Trump Tower campaign launch

NEW YORK — It was the escalator ride that would change history.… Continue reading

Massive protests draw apology from Hong Kong leadership

Hong Kong citizens marched for hours Sunday in a massive protest that… Continue reading

Most Read