A Stettler couple has “lost everything,” including a beloved family pet, after their home went up in flames.
Blane Bourdon and his girlfriend had their home catch fire at about 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, according to a friend who reached out to the Red Deer Advocate.
A GoFundMe page, set up by Bourdon’s sister, has raised $3,265 since being set up the same day as the fire.
Bourdon “is a very proud person and never asks for help, but is always there to lend a hand to family, friends and community,” the GoFundMe page said.
Donations can also be dropped off at the Stettler GM dealership. Additionally, there is an account set up in Bourdon’s name at the credit union in Stettler.
“Thank you to all who have donated to them,” an update on the GoFundMe page said.
“I know it doesn’t help replace the things that had a special meaning, but it helps to know they have an amazing community and friends. Again, thank you from their families.”
Firefighters were at the scene for about 10 hours total, first battling the blaze and then dowsing any hot spots to ensure the fire didn’t reignite.
Earlier this year, Bourdon’s son Reese lost all of his possessions in a fire as well.
A GoFundMe page created this past February to support Reese says he went to get a drink of water early in the morning when he discovered his house was on fire.
“He ran to wake his brother and the two of them attempted to get all the pets out of the house before it was too late,” the GoFundMe page said.
Both Reese and his brother were safe, but their possessions and pets were lost in the fire. That GoFundMe campaign has raised nearly $1,500.