Father fights with private school over alleged bullying among 7-year-old girls

Father fights with private school over alleged bullying among 7-year-old girls

TORONTO — A Toronto father alleges in a lawsuit filed against Havergal College that the prestigious girls private school expelled his seven-year-old daughter because he complained that she was bullied, while the school claims his own inappropriate behaviour is the cause of her expulsion.

The legal saga began with bullying allegations involving two former friends at the all-girls school that runs from kindergarten to Grade 12, but has escalated into a $5.5-million suit filed by the aggrieved father, Andrew Rogerson.

Rogerson’s statement of claim, filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on Oct. 18, alleges his daughter suffered “verbal and physical bullying” at the hands of another girl and adds that not only were his concerns dismissed, but the school decided to expel his daughter and not her alleged bully.

In a statement of defence filed Oct. 30, Havergal alleges Rogerson breached the school’s code of conduct by stigmatizing the other girl, who is referred to as “student A”, and disparaging her family and the institution’s staff.

Rogerson is also asking for a court injunction to have his daughter’s expulsion, set to take place Dec. 20, revoked so that his daughter can stay at the school, which he said she loves, despite her bullying problem.

None of the allegations have been proven in court and there are no allegations of criminal wrongdoing.

Questions about how private schools handle bullying allegations have been thrust into the spotlight since allegations of sex assault at another Toronto private school arose last year. A former student at St. Michael’s College School earlier this month filed a $1.65-million lawsuit against the institution alleging it failed to keep him safe.

Rogerson’s statement of claim suggests Havergal failed to take action to protect his daughter, a Grade 2 student at Havergal, which she’s attended since junior kindergarten.

The bullying by another girl began in October 2018 and took a toll on his daughter’s mental health, he said in the documents.

“She began to act out towards her parents and teachers, to strike her parents, and to report incidents of being hit by (student A) to various staff members at Havergal,” Rogerson said in the claim.

Rogerson and his wife said they tried to deal with the school through in-person discussions, as well as over the phone and through email.

“No real solution was ever presented, and the bullying continued,” Rogerson’s claim said.

Havergal, meanwhile, denies those allegations in its statement of defence. The school said Rogerson called the other student a “bully” in a parent-teacher interview on Oct. 25, 2018.

The teacher told the Rogersons that she “had not observed any inappropriate behaviour” by the other girl.

The teacher “understood that the two girls had been friends in (senior kindergarten) and appeared to enjoy each other’s strong personalities,” according to the statement of defence.

The school said the teacher tried to separate the pair whenever possible afterward, but that was difficult because Rogerson’s daughter continued to hang out with the other student.

The school said Rogerson sent teachers and other staffers numerous emails about the other student’s behaviour, including an allegation the girl hit his daughter and other girls in the face.

Havergal said it closely monitored the pair, and school officials spoke to both the Rogersons and the other girl’s parents.

The school said it never saw any behaviour “that was physically aggressive or fell outside the expected and accepted range of developmental norms for 6 and 7 year old girls.”

But “Rogerson became fixated on student A,” Havergal alleges in its statement of defence.

In one incident on May 2, the school said, both girls were driven to tears. Rogerson’s daughter’s nose bled for 20 minutes, the school said.

Havergal investigated the incident and concluded that both girls raced to be first in line to go outside, and that the other student had “impulsively squeezed” Rogerson’s daughter from behind using her body and arms.

Rogerson’s daughter became upset, “which in turn had caused her nose to start bleeding,” something the Rogerson family, Havergal said in court documents, acknowledged happens to her spontaneously.

In response, Havergal provided counselling and guidance to the other girl and her family, the school said.

“Rogerson refused to accept the school’s findings about the incident,” Havergal said in the statement of defence. “Instead, he insisted on repeatedly referring to the incident as an ‘attack’.”

The two girls were assigned different classes in Grade 2, the school said.

At a meeting with his daughter’s new teacher and another staff member on Sept. 17, the school alleges Rogerson focused the conversation on the other girl, saying the school had “covered up” his concerns.

He also said the school made him and his daughter feel like criminals and compared Havergal’s handling of the case to “another private school’s handling of a brutal sexual assault involving 15-year-old students,” according to the statement of defence.

The school alleges Rogerson threatened two staffers during that meeting, telling them ”if you shut me down, I’ll shut you down.” The school says the principal determined his behaviour had breached its code.

The staff members reported they felt intimidated and harassed by Rogerson and said they were not comfortable with meeting with him again.

That caused a “complete breakdown in the relationship of trust and confidence between the parents and the school” and, under terms of the contract, Havergal said it sought the “forced withdrawal” of Rogerson’s daughter from the school.

The case is next in court on Nov. 28 as the school seeks a publication ban on the identity of the other girl and her family.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 14, 2019.

Liam Casey, The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

As of Friday, Alberta has under 10,000 active COVID-19 cases. (Image courtesy CDC)
Alberta identifies 573 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths on Saturday

There are currently 9,727 active cases of the virus in the province

A firetruck sits in front of a home on Harvey Close in Red Deer Saturday afternoon. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Firefighters respond to Red Deer fire

Red Deer firefighters responded to a blaze in the north part of… Continue reading

(Courtesy photo)
Red Deer rental prices drop slightly

Renting an apartment in Red Deer became slightly cheaper last month. Rentals.ca… Continue reading

Rylee Trippel was last seen Friday. (Photo contributed by RCMP)
Red Deer RCMP looking for missing teen

Police are looking for a teen who was last seen in the… Continue reading

The Red Deer Outreach Centre’s Adopt a Family program raised $60,000 in 2020. (Photo courtesy Red Deer Outreach Centre’s Facebook)
Red Deer Outreach Centre’s Adopt a Family program raised $60K in 2020

The executive director of the Red Deer Outreach Centre says she is… Continue reading

Former Alberta Premier Rachel Notley shakes hands with Joel Ward, former Red Deer College President and CEO, as Notley announces that the college is on the path to grant degrees. Red Deer-South MLA Jason Stephan says university status is not a necessary condition for offering degrees. (File photo by Advocate staff)
Future of Red Deer University increasingly uncertain

MLA’s college update says RDC more like SAIT and NAIT than a university

RCMP say missing teen Hope Tivendale has been found. (File photo by Advocate staff)
No foul play suspected after burned body of homeless person found in North Vancouver

VANCOUVER — A burned body, believed to be of a homeless person,… Continue reading

The central zone experienced a spike in the number of COVID-19 cases Thursday, rising from 454 to 508 active cases over the past 24 hours, with 10 people in hospital. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck)
Spartan Bioscience says Health Canada has approved its rapid COVID-19 test

TORONTO — An Ottawa company says it’s received approval from Health Canada… Continue reading

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole holds a press conference on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Thursday, Dec. 10, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole defends decision to back, then oust, Sloan

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole says he was once willing to… Continue reading

Quebec Premier Francois Legault pauses as he speaks during a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021 at the legislature in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
Non-essential travel ban would violate Constitution but courts might allow it: expert

MONTREAL — Fear that Quebecers will catch a new variant of COVID-19… Continue reading

A woman walks outside the Roberta Place Long Term Care home in Barrie, Ont. on Monday, January 18, 2021. The devastating toll of COVID-19 on long-term care residents in Canada has underscored the need for increased public funding for home care, advocates say. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
COVID-19 deaths in long-term care reveal need for home supports: advocates

VANCOUVER — The devastating toll of COVID-19 on long-term care residents in… Continue reading

A Chinese flag is illuminated by sunshine in the Hall of Honour on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Thursday, September 22, 2016. China is threatening retaliation against Canada after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned a new security law giving Beijing more control over Hong Kong.. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Diplomats contact Canadian held for over 2 years in China

BEIJING — Canadian officials have met online with former diplomat Michael Kovrig,… Continue reading

Marc Gold (centre) stands with senators André Pratte (left) and Peter Harder before being sworn in during a ceremony in the Senate on Parliament Hill, Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
Senator urges study of vexing barriers to using secret information in court cases

OTTAWA — A Senate committee should examine the hurdles that make it… Continue reading

In this file photo, a lotto Max ticket is shown in Toronto on Monday Feb. 26, 2018. (By THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Winnipeg ticket holder wins Friday night’s $60 million Lotto Max jackpot

TORONTO — A ticket holder from Winnipeg won Friday night’s whopping $60… Continue reading

Most Read