Federal government ’genuinely surprised’ by Supreme Court decision on Nadon

The Supreme Court of Canada’s ruling Friday that Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s most recent appointment to the high court isn’t eligible for the job caught the federal government flat-footed.

OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada’s ruling Friday that Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s most recent appointment to the high court isn’t eligible for the job caught the federal government flat-footed.

A statement from the Prime Minister’s Office says it was “genuinely surprised” by the court’s rejection of Marc Nadon.

The statement notes the appointment of the semi-retired Federal Court of Appeal justice was vetted by two former Supreme Court justices.

“A multi-party committee was also involved in the selection process and at no time did any members, including from the Opposition, object to appointing a member of the Federal Court of Appeal to the Supreme Court.”

The government is left pondering its next step.

“We will review the details of the decision and our options going forward.”

In a sharp rebuke to Harper, the high court ruled 6-1 that Nadon is not eligible because he does not meet the specific requirements for the jurists appointed from Quebec.

The court also struck down a key feature of the Conservative bill that last year amended the Supreme Court Act.

Rocco Galati, the Toronto lawyer who first challenged the Nadon appointment, welcomed the court’s decision, but said it shouldn’t have fallen to an ordinary citizen to raise the issue.

“When I started this I was very, very clear and convinced that I was right and that this was as clear as a bell to me,” Galati said in an interview from India, where he is travelling.

“In the main, I think it’s a good decision, particularly on the larger issue of the constitutionalization of the court. I’m very happy about that.”

“That’s why I put my personal time, energy and put frankly a lot of money into this that I’ll never get back in order to clean up the government’s mess.”

“The fact that the court has recognized that … the government cannot alter the composition of the court without constitutional amendment, I’m very happy about that as a constitutional lawyer.”

The court said Parliament cannot unilaterally change the composition of the Supreme Court because its essential features are constitutionally protected under the Constitution Act.

Nadon was declared ineligible because he came from the Federal Court and did not meet the criteria of either coming from the Quebec Superior Court, the Quebec Court of Appeal, or being a current member of the Quebec bar.

The court’s opinion affects only Quebec appointments, which means there is no impact on current Supreme Court Justice Marshall Rothstein of Manitoba, whom Harper appointed from the Federal Court of Appeal in 2006.

The Tories amended the Supreme Court Act last year to allow the appointment of a jurist who is currently or has in the past been a member of the Quebec bar with at least 10 years standing — a provision that applies to Nadon. At the same time, Harper referred the appointment to the Supreme Court for an opinion.

“The narrow question is thus whether he was eligible for appointment because he had previously been a member of the Quebec bar,” said the ruling, which — in a rare occurrence — was formally written by all six judges in the majority.

“In our view, the answer to this question is no: a current judge of the Federal Court of Appeal is not eligible for appointment.”

The only dissenter was Justice Michael Moldaver, a Harper appointee from Ontario.

The high court ruled the government did not have the authority to amend the Act, saying “the unanimous consent of Parliament and all provincial legislatures is required for amendments to the Constitution relating to the ’composition of the Supreme Court’.”

Harper’s decision in September to name the 64-year-old Nadon has been controversial from the outset.

The court said Nadon’s appointment was void and that he never actually became a member of the court. Nadon retains his status as a supernumerary Federal Court judge.

The court did not address the hypothetical question of whether Nadon could resign as a judge and go back to Quebec and reactivate his status as a lawyer to meet the eligibility requirements.

“We note in passing that the reference questions do not ask whether a judge of the Federal Court or Federal Court of Appeal who was a former advocate of at least 10 years standing at the Quebec bar could rejoin the Quebec bar for a day in order to be eligible for appointment to this Court under Sec. 6,” the court said Friday.

“We therefore do not decide this issue.”

The court’s decision came as Harper was on a flight for a week-long European trip that will take him to Ukraine on Saturday.

The ruling will have implications for the next Quebec vacancy that opens up later this year, when Justice Louis LeBel reaches the mandatory retirement age in November.

The case could also resonate on the Quebec provincial election trail.

Nadon had been strictly quarantined from the eight other justices and stayed away from country’s highest courthouse.

Rothstein recused himself from the case, but gave no public reasons for doing so.

Rothstein’s Manitoba credentials were based on a legal career in the province from 1966 to 1992 when he was a partner in a law firm and a lecturer in transportation law at the University of Manitoba. He was appointed to the Federal Court trial division in 1992.

Friday’s opinion was unusually swift after the court heard arguments in January.

Galati argued there was no “constitutional imperative” to extend eligibility to “every single lawyer in the country” to be a candidate for the Supreme Court.

The federal government argued that interpreting the Supreme Court Act to bar any Federal Court judge from being appointed to the top court would reduce the already small pool of qualified judges.

The Supreme Court had no issue with reducing that pool.

“By specifying that three judges shall be selected from among the members of a specific list of institutions, Sec. 6 requires that persons appointed to the three Quebec seats must, in addition to meeting the general requirements of Sec. 5, be current members of these institutions,” the court said Friday.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Erika Fetterly, owner of EFP Studios, recently launched the Let Them Have A Voice campaign. (Contributed photo)
Central Alberta photographer’s campaign aims to give youths a voice

An Innisfail photographer is giving a platform to young central Albertans so… Continue reading

Chopped Canada-winning chef Pete Sok is trying to focus on the future as he reopens Boulevard Restaurant and Lounge in the Holiday Inn on Gasoline Alley during the pandemic. (Contributed photo)
Red Deer’s celebrity chef looks past the pandemic with new restaurant opportunity

Pete Sok is reopening Boulevard Restaurant — and betting on the future

The Red Deer Rebels hosted the Medicine Hat Tigers in the first game of the shortened 2020-21 season on Friday. The two teams faced off again in Medicine Hat Saturday (Photo by Rob Wallator/ Red Deer Rebels)
Red Deer Rebels fall to Medicine Hat Tigers on Saturday

Tigers 7 Rebels 2 The Red Deer Rebels have lost two straight… Continue reading

Alberta has 1,910 active cases of COVID-19 as of Wednesday. Red Deer is reporting five active cases, with 108 recovered. (File photo)
Red Deer reports 25th COVID-19 death

415 new cases identified provincially Saturday

Red Deer science-communicating dogs Bunsen and Beaker helped save a missing pet recently. The two dogs have more than 80,000 followers on Twitter. (Contributed photo)
WATCH: Red Deer science dogs help save lost pet

Red Deer science-communicating dogs Bunsen and Beaker helped rescue a missing pet… Continue reading

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks during a news conference in Edmonton on Feb. 24, 2020. It’s budget day in the province, and Kenney’s United Conservative government is promising more help in the fight against COVID, but more red ink on the bottom line. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta Premier slams vandalism after slur painted on MLA’s office window

EDMONTON — Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is condemning alleged vandalism at the… Continue reading

Canada Pension Plan Investment Board President and Chief Executive Officer Mark Machin waits to appear at the Standing Committee on Finance on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa on Tuesday, November 1, 2016. Executives who engage in so-called "vaccine tourism" show both an ethical disregard for those less fortunate and a surprising lack of business acumen, experts argue. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Vaccine tourism is both unethical and bad for business, experts say

Executives who engage in so-called “vaccine tourism” show both an ethical disregard… Continue reading

Edmonton Oilers' Jesse Puljujarvi (13) and Toronto Maple Leafs' Justin Holl (3) battle in front as goalie Jack Campbell (36) makes the save during second period NHL action in Edmonton on Saturday, February 27, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
No Matthews, no problem: Minus NHL goal leader, Maple Leafs blank Oilers 4-0

Leafs 4 Oilers 0 EDMONTON — The Maple Leafs knew even with… Continue reading

The Pornhub website is shown on a computer screen in Toronto on Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS
Pornhub policies reveal legal gaps and lack of enforcement around exploitive videos

OTTAWA — Serena Fleites was in seventh grade when a sexually explicit… Continue reading

Sean Hoskin stands on a neighbourhood street in Halifax on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021. Hoskin was diagnosed with COVID-19 almost a year ago with symptoms that still persist. Some provinces have established programs to deal with long-term sufferers but Atlantic Canada, with relatively low numbers of patients, has yet to provide a resource to assist them. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
On East Coast, exhausted COVID-19 ‘long haulers’ hope specialized clinics will emerge

HALIFAX — On evenings when Sean Hoskin collapses into bed, heart pounding… Continue reading

Ottawa Senators goaltender Matt Murray (30) stands in his crease as Calgary Flames left wing Andrew Mangiapane (88), left to right, defenceman Rasmus Andersson (4), Matthew Tkachuk (19), Mikael Backlund (11) and Mark Giordano (5) celebrate a goal during second period NHL action in Ottawa on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Calgary Flames beat Ottawa 6-3 to end Senators’ three-game win streak

Flames 6 Senators 3 OTTAWA — The Calgary Flames used a balanced… Continue reading

Crosses are displayed in memory of the elderly who died from COVID-19 at the Camilla Care Community facility during the COVID-19 pandemic in Mississauga, Ont., on November 19, 2020. The number of people who would have died from a COVID-19 infection is likely to be much higher than recorded because of death certificates don't always list the virus as the cause of a fatality, experts say. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Death certificates don’t accurately reflect the toll of the pandemic, experts say

The number of people who would have died from a COVID-19 infection… Continue reading

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Toronto, Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021. A single dose of Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine is barely enough to cover the average pinky nail but is made up of more than 280 components and requires at least three manufacturing plants to produce. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
From science to syringe: COVID-19 vaccines are miracles of science and supply chains

OTTAWA — A single dose of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine is barely enough… Continue reading

Most Read