A fire that caused severe damage to two homes in Johnstone Wednesday night was probably caused by a child playing with fire.
Red Deer Emergency Services (RDES) said the fire started between the two homes on Jenner Crescent and was already reaching the attic of one house when crews arrived on the scene shortly after 7:30 p.m.
Total damage to both homes is estimated to be $650,000.
Five people were home at the time of the fire and all escaped without injury thanks to a neighbour who alerted them.
Emergency crews responded with four engines, one aerial platform and 21 crew members.
RDES staff will go door-to-door to about 100 homes in the neighbourhood Thursday evening to speak with residents about fire safety as part of the After the Fire safety program.
Red Deer Emergency Services wants to remind residents of some important fire safety tips:
- Keep barbecues away from siding and deck rails, and never leave a barbecue unattended while cooking.
- Do not store flammable materials near a barbecue or cooking surface.
- Keep children at least one metre from barbecues and fires.
- Always dispose of cigarettes in proper containers, not plant pots which can easily catch fire.
- Check your smoke alarms today because your life may depend on it one day.